Persian Fetta and Caper Stuffed Zucchini FlowersFrom mystic_river1 5 years ago
- What you'll need shopping list
- ============= shopping list
- Deep fryer or pot with vegetable oil shopping list
- 10 zucchini flowers shopping list
- 3.5 oz Persian fetta cheese (or a comparable soft fetta) shopping list
- 1.5 tbsp Spanish capers shopping list
- sea salt flakes shopping list
- black pepper corn mill shopping list
- 1 egg (separated) shopping list
- 1.5 cups plain flour shopping list
- 1-2 cups of cold soda water shopping list
How to make it
- If you're stuffing the flowers
- Preheat oil to 180 degrees (350 fahrenheit).
- Combine the yolk, the Persian fetta, the capers, a touch of salt and pepper in a mixing bowl and mix until it is slightly pasty.
- Depending on the length of the zucchini stem you may need to cut some off, leave approx 4 cm (2 inches) attached to the flower.
- Gently open up the zucchini flowers and using a teaspoon gently spoon the cheese mixture into the flowers and fill to approx 2/3rds.
- Gently push the remaining air out of the flowers and squeeze the tips of the petals back together.
- For the batter
- Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl, add a pinch of salt and pepper and make a well in the centre.
- Slowly pour some of the soda water into the well and whisk as you add, slowly moving the whisk out from the well to incorporate more flour until the entire mixture is fluid and thick (it may not require all the soda water, so add it slowly).
- Whisk the egg white until frothy and fold into the batter mixture.
- For the cooking
- Whether your flowers are stuffed or not the process is the same.
- Holding on to the stem drag the flowers through the batter until liberally covered (do not batter the stem) and hold the flower end into the deep fryer until the batter has sealed (a few seconds) and then drop the stem in as well, cook until golden, they may require turning once.
- Remove, drain, season with some sea salt, and serve. Serve un-stuffed flowers with a wedge of lemon.
The Cookmystic_river1 Bradenton, Florida
The Rating6 people
Oh GF - this is wonderful. I love using Zucchini flowers to stuff and your stuffing sounds like a total winner. I cannot wait to give this a try. Thanks for so many great dishes! Hugs, Vickielunasea in Orlando loved it
Fortunately I have a garden and many Zucchini flowers that will not go to waste. I definably will make this recipe tonight.
Thank youtrigger in loved it
Yummy, yummy, yummy. Love feta cheese and capers, this has to be superb. Great recipe, great post, thank you, thank you, thank you. You have my 5, no doubt about it. Hugs, Da Catchefmeow in Garland loved it