Moms Butter SconesFrom hollyeats 8 years ago
How to make it
- In a deep bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add the butter bits and toss until coated with flour mixture.
- Cut the butter bits into the flour with a pastry cutter or with 2 forks until the pieces of butter are the size of petit pois peas; not so small that the mixture looks like cornmeal.
- Mix together the beaten eggs and milk until combined.
- Pour over the flour mixture and stir until the mass just holds together; don't overmix. Dough will be sticky.
- On a greased cookie sheet, with floured hands, gently pat the dough into an 8-10" circle. Dough should be 1/2 inch or more thick.
- With a large knife, cut this into 8 wedges, don't separate the wedges.
- Place into the center of a preheated 425° oven (or 400° if using convection).
- After 10 minutes' baking time, remove and cut through the wedges, separating them by about an inch on the pan.
- Return to oven and continue baking until golden brown and crispy on top.
- Serve hot with lemon curd, jam or honey.