Gourmet Hot Dog Chili SauceFrom chefjeb 7 years ago
- 1/4 cup olive oil shopping list
- 1 lb. lean ground round (see note) shopping list
- 3 tbs chil powder shopping list
- 1 tsp cumin shopping list
- 3 tbs tomato paste shopping list
- 1 tsp salt shopping list
- 2 tbs granulated garlic shopping list
- 1 cup onion, finley minced shopping list
- 1 cup water shopping list
- 1 tbs flour shopping list
How to make it
- You need a pot with at least 1 1/2 or 2 quarts capacity.
- Heat olive oil and wilt onions, remove and reserve.
- Add ground round and cook until beef is well browned, drain. (see note)
- turn heat to low and add tomato paste, chil powder, cumin, salt, garlic, onions and water.to meat.
- Stir to blend.
- Bring to low simmer and cover and cook gently for about 15 minutes, stirring several times. If necessary add small amounts of water.
- In small bowl mix one tablespoon olive oil and one tablespoon flour, mix well and add to pot. Continue to simmer for about five minutes or until sauce is thickened.
- (Optional) add cayenne pepper to taste for tangy chili.
- Note: If meat is not very, very lean or it becomes watery you may wash it by placing it in a colendar and running warm water over it to remove excess water and fat, which you do not want in this recipe.
The Cookchefjeb Carthage, MS
The Rating4 people
I love making my own hot dog sauce, it is so much better than the canned stuff. And after the major brand of canned has a botulism recall, you won't catch my buying one in any case. I just tossed out what was in the hurricane food supply.
I do...morenotyourmomma in South St. Petersburg loved it
Awesome sauce. I've tried many and this is the best. Instead of the cup of water, I used a cup of beef broth. I also mixed beef broth instead of water with the flour.NCcook22 in Charlotte loved it
Great hot dog chili, and I wouldn't change a thing!! Added my picture and wrote a bit more here ----> Gourmet Hot Dog Chili Saucemommyluvs2cook in Santa Fe loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!