Gourmet Hot Dog Chili SauceFrom chefjeb 7 years ago
- 1/4 cup olive oil shopping list
- 1 lb. lean ground round (see note) shopping list
- 3 tbs chil powder shopping list
- 1 tsp cumin shopping list
- 3 tbs tomato paste shopping list
- 1 tsp salt shopping list
- 2 tbs granulated garlic shopping list
- 1 cup onion, finley minced shopping list
- 1 cup water shopping list
- 1 tbs flour shopping list
How to make it
- You need a pot with at least 1 1/2 or 2 quarts capacity.
- Heat olive oil and wilt onions, remove and reserve.
- Add ground round and cook until beef is well browned, drain. (see note)
- turn heat to low and add tomato paste, chil powder, cumin, salt, garlic, onions and water.to meat.
- Stir to blend.
- Bring to low simmer and cover and cook gently for about 15 minutes, stirring several times. If necessary add small amounts of water.
- In small bowl mix one tablespoon olive oil and one tablespoon flour, mix well and add to pot. Continue to simmer for about five minutes or until sauce is thickened.
- (Optional) add cayenne pepper to taste for tangy chili.
- Note: If meat is not very, very lean or it becomes watery you may wash it by placing it in a colendar and running warm water over it to remove excess water and fat, which you do not want in this recipe.
The Cookchefjeb Carthage, MS
The Rating4 people
Awesome sauce. I've tried many and this is the best. Instead of the cup of water, I used a cup of beef broth. I also mixed beef broth instead of water with the flour.NCcook22 in Charlotte loved it
Great hot dog chili, and I wouldn't change a thing!! Added my picture and wrote a bit more here ----> Gourmet Hot Dog Chili Saucemommyluvs2cook in Santa Fe loved it
I love making my own hot dog sauce, it is so much better than the canned stuff. And after the major brand of canned has a botulism recall, you won't catch my buying one in any case. I just tossed out what was in the hurricane food supply.
I do...morenotyourmomma in South St. Petersburg loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!