Sapyiras Spicy and Savory Bread PuddingFrom mystic_river1 8 years ago
- 1 tablespoon butter shopping list
- 1 tbsp olive oil shopping list
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced shopping list
- 2 jalapenos, finely chopped with seeds shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme shopping list
- 1/4 cup white wine or water shopping list
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced shopping list
- salt & pepper shopping list
- 2 cups milk shopping list
- 3 eggs, beaten shopping list
- 2 tbsp chives, chopped shopping list
- 2 green onions, chopped shopping list
- 6 to 8 slices bread shopping list
- 2 cups mixed grated cheese: parmesan, provolone, jack and swiss, etc. You could also add in a bit of smoked gouda. shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a large skillet or saute pan over medium heat and cook the onion. Add the dried herbs, and cook onion until it’s very soft, about 10-16 minutes. Add a little wine or water if it seems dry. Add mushrooms and cook over high heat, stirring, for about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk milk into the eggs, season with about 1/2 teaspoon salt, and add the chopped chives and green onions.
- This is the custard mixture.
- Trim crusts from the bread and cut in half.
- Butter an oblong baking pan, a deep dish pie plate, or individual ramekins.
- Arrange half the bread over the bottom, trimming bread pieces to fit into spaces.
- Spoon mushroom mixture and half the cheese over the bread. Follow that with the rest of the bread and remaining cheese.
- Pour the custard over the top, cover and bake for 20 minutes. Remove cover and bake another another 10-15 minutes until the custard is set.
- *** it may take longer to cook. Test by sticking a knife into the center, it should come out relatively clean.
People Who Like This Dish 12
- optimistic1_2 Guelph, CA
- kimmer Dunedin, FL
- turtle66 Sacramento, CA
- elgab89 Toronto, CA
- mark555 Center Of The World Ma' Center Of The World, KS
- lizzconn Naas Co Kildare, IE
- sweetwords Raleigh, MS
- charrm1 Gatineau, Canada
- mommardz Edinburg, TX
- terineal Texarkana, TX
- Plus 2 othersFrom around the world!
The Cookmystic_river1 Bradenton, Florida
The Rating8 people
Oh fantastic jm yumo ........ i like this one thanks ........you make it and ill come and eat it hahahahaminitindel in THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY loved it
Can't argue with the pixie about this one.mark555 in Center Of The World Ma' Center Of The World loved it
Good one! Saved it!elgab89 in Toronto loved it