Amish Friendship BreadFrom askksk 8 years ago
- Starter: shopping list
- 1 package active dry yeast shopping list
- 1 cup milk shopping list
- 1 cup flour shopping list
- 1 cup sugar shopping list
- Ingredients for completed bread: shopping list
- 1 cup oil shopping list
- 1 cup sugar shopping list
- 1 tsp vanilla shopping list
- 3 large eggs shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder shopping list
- 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- 2 cups all purpose flour shopping list
- 1/2 cup milk shopping list
- 1/2 tsp baking soda shopping list
- 1 large box instant vanilla pudding shopping list
- or shopping list
- 1 small box instant vanilla pudding AND shopping list
- 1 small box instant lemon pudding shopping list
- 2 tsp cinnamon shopping list
How to make it
- Starter Instructions:
- Note: DO NOT use metal bowls or spoons and DO NOT refrigerate.
- Dissolve yeast in small amount of warm water. Mix all ingredients together in an ample sized bowl or jar (it WILL grow). This is Day 1 of the starter.
- Instructions for completed bread:
- Do NOT use metal spoon or bowl for mixing.
- Do NOT refrigerate.
- If air gets in the bag, let it out.
- It is normal for batter to thicken, bubble and ferment.
- Day 1: This is the day you receive the batter; do nothing.
- Day 2: Squeeze the bag.
- Day 3: Squeeze the bag.
- Day 4: Squeeze the bag.
- Day 5: Squeeze the bag.
- Day 6: Add 1 cup all purpose flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup milk
- Day 7: Squeeze the bag.
- Day 8: Squeeze the bag.
- Day 9: Squeeze the bag.
- Day 10: Combine in a large bowl: batter, 1 cup all purpose flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup milk. Mix with wooden spoon or spatula. Pour three, one cup starters in ziplock bags and give them to your friends along with the instructions.
- Add to the batter remaining in the bowl, add all ingredients.
- Pour into 2 large, well greased and sugared (mix cinnamon and sugar) loaf pans. You can sprinkle some extra cinnamon and sugar on top. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour.
- Optional: Add 1 cup chopped pecans and/or 1/2 cup raisins.
- *Omit cinnamon and vanilla pudding in the basic recipe and add two bananas (mashed)
- *Omit cinnamon and vanilla pudding from the basic recipe and add 1 - (2.1 oz) box of instant chocolate pudding, 3 tsp. cocoa and 3/4 cup chocolate chips. Bake for 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours.
- *Add one cup of raisins and one small diced apple.
- *Omit the vanilla pudding. Add 1 box of butterscotch pudding and 1 cup of butterscotch chips.
- *Replace the vanilla pudding with chocolate and add 1/2 cup each of chocolate chips and coconut.
- *Substitute ALMOND flavoring (NOT Imitation) for the vanilla flavoring and substitute WHITE CHOCOLATE pudding for the vanilla pudding.
- *Use lemon pudding and lemon extract in place of vanilla pudding and vanilla extract. Also add 1/4 cup of poppy seeds. and omit cinnamon and nuts.
- *Omit cinnamon, nuts and vanilla. Use lemon flavored pudding, add 1 tsp. lemon extract and 2 cups coconut.
- *Use banana cream pie pudding and two mashed bananas. I have also added 1/4 cup of chocolate chip to this on occasion.
- *A cup of dried cranberries and a tsp of orange zest, along with a cup of chopped nuts, makes a nice holiday variation to the cake!
- *Add Craisins(dried sweetened cranberries) and chocolate covered raisins to the mix.
- *Add dried apples and caramel instant pudding (makes it like caramel apples).
- *Use 3/4 cup white chocolate chips, 3/4 cup macadamia nuts and cheesecake pudding.
- *Substitute 2 tablespoons molasses for equal amount of sugar and add spices to make gingerbread.
- *Add 1 cup of drained crushed pineapple, 1 cup shredded coconut and pistachio pudding (instead of vanilla).
- *Use 1 small box of orange jello, 1 c. drained mandarin oranges.
- *Use 1 small box of strawberry jello, 1 c. thawed strawberries.
- *Use Cheesecake pudding instead of vanilla pudding and add chopped maraschino cherries (about 6 with some juice). This tastes great and looks very festive.
- *Use different flavors of pudding: bannana, lemon, chocolate, and butter pecan. You can also made it with fruit such as blueberries and raspberries.
- *Add glazed fruit mix with walnuts and almonds. The result is a tasty fruitcake.
- *Use banana cream pudding and shredded coconut.
- *Use coconut cream pie pudding with crushed pineapple.
- *Use cappicino pudding , 1/2 C. chocolate chips and 1/2 C. nuts of choice.
- BASICALLY- You can put anything into the basic Amish Friendship Bread recipe.
People Who Like This Dish 23
- foodfight Atlanta, GA
- chanterrr Delta, CA
- Sheriibaby Nowhere, Us
- thegoldminer Sacramento, CA
- cherylannxo Santa Nella, CA
- juels Clayton, NC
- moxie2burn Matanuska-Susitna Valley, Alaska
- saavedra Iowa City, IA
- bbsgreenacres Fuquay Varina, NC
- the_lynnlee Lake Jackson, TX
- Plus 13 othersFrom around the world!
The Cookaskksk LOUISVILLE, KY
The Rating7 people
I love the original best too. Hope you don't mind, I uploaded a pic for you. This stuff has become a staple in our house ... and there are always bags of frozen starter in my freezer. :) Thanks for posting!moxie2burn in Matanuska-Susitna Valley loved it
Thank you so much for this recipe! I especially appreciate you adding all the variations to it! You can get bored eating the same bread every 10 days. Printed this out, and 5 for you!juels in Clayton loved it
Great recipe! ^5...Cherylcherylannxo in Santa Nella loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!