Leahs Cheesy Fresh Tomato And Spinach Pie With BaconFrom divaliscious 7 years ago
- Be lazy - Use 1 pre-made pie crust unbaked - if frozen, allow to come to room temperature shopping list
- 2 large beefsteak tomatoes or four plum tomatoes - could also use grape or cherry, simply slice in half. shopping list
- 1/2 packaged Box of frozen spinach thawed and completely drained of its juices shopping list
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella shopping list
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg shopping list
- 1-1/2 teaspoon kosher salt shopping list
- fresh cracked pepper shopping list
- 4 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled shopping list
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise shopping list
- 1/2 cup milk 2 percent or whole shopping list
- 4 jumbo eggs (or 5 medium/large eggs) shopping list
- Pie pan shopping list
- Working oven preheated at 350 degrees shopping list
- 1/3 cup flour - all purpose shopping list
- 2-3 tablespoons of tomato paste shopping list
- 2 tablespoons shopped minced onions (for color and optional) shopping list
- red chili flakes (optional) shopping list
- Clean tea towel to help squeeze out water from thawed spinach shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees
- Place and unroll unbaked pie pastry into pie pan.
- Slice bacon and cook up in skillet while performing other tasks.
- Once spinach is thawed (I used my microwave for 1-2 minutes on medium strength) place half of the boxed thawed spinach into a clean tea towel and grab corners to create a bundle.
- Over sink start squeezing - and squeeze some more, loads of water will come out - you really want to get all the water out, and after opening back up your dish towel, the spinach will easily pop out of your dish towel.
- Fork pie pastry all over on bottom with holes to prevent buckling
- Sprinkle at least 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese on bottom of pie pan on top of pie pastry.
- Sprinkle three tablespoons of the flour on top of the parmesan cheese - this will prevent your pie from being too drippy of tomato juices
- Slice if using beefsteak tomatoes or plums into 1/4 inch slices and arrange in circles over lapping slightly in pie pastry. Sprinkle a little salt all over the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle about half of the shredded mozzarella cheese over the tomatoes.
- In bowl, crack your eggs and add mayonnaise, whisk till completely combined and thick.
- Add freshly cracked pepper, tomato paste, 1/2 of the remaining parmesan cheese, remaining flour, optional shakes of chili flakes and half of the nutmeg to egg mixture.
- Stir again then add spinach - stir till combined.
- Pour egg mixture over tomatoes.
- Once bacon is done, drain any extra fat and place on top of egg mixture and add additional shredded mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese.
- With hand or back of spoon, slightly press cheeses and bacon into egg mixture to get them wet.
- Sprinkle the top with the remaining nutmeg.
- Add optional diced green onions.
- Place pie pan carefully into preheated oven and allow to bake for 40 minutes.
- When checking for doneness, insert knife - which will come out a little wet, but not gloppy.
- Let Pie/tart set up for at least 10 minutes before slicing.
- This can be served hot, cold or warm - it was delicious cold late last night when I was struck with a little hunger after watching Craig Furgenson!
- Yes I KNOW!!! lol
The Cookdivaliscious Dutchess County, NY
The Rating3 people
Oh yesssssss.....*swoon*....this looks and sounds so delicious, Leah. You rock, GF! I love your pics and flagged you for them. I cannot wait to try this. High 5 - and thanks! :) Vickie
*wanders away feeling veryyyy hungry*lunasea in Orlando loved it
Cheese, tomato, spinach, bacon, all in a crust...Sounds like heaven to me...Got my 5..:)wynnebaer in Dunnellon loved it
Not sure HOW I missed this one! On the list to make soon! Love the "working oven" step! lolsparow64 in Sweetwater loved it