Canadian Onion SoupFrom chefelaine 6 years ago
- 3 tbsp canola oil shopping list
- 4 lb sweet onions, thinly sliced shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- ½ cup pure maple syrup shopping list
- 1 900 ml tetri-pack of fat free beef broth or your own beef broth shopping list
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme leaves shopping list
- salt & pepper tp taste (or McCormick’s NO salt ADDED CITRUS & pepper) shopping list
- 6 slices of baguette, toasted shopping list
- 2 cups shredded five year old Canadian cheddar cheese shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven set over medium heat.
- Add onion, and cook, stirring frequently, for 30 minutes, or until well caramelized.
- Add garlic and cook an additional 30 seconds,
- then stir in the maple syrup.
- Add the broth and half the thyme, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt & pepper as desired.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Divide the soup between 6 oven-proof bowls.
- Top with toast slices and equal amounts of cheese.
- Broil for 2 – 3 minutes, until cheese melts and lightly browns.
- Garnish with remaining thyme and serve.
People Who Like This Dish 8
The Cookchefelaine Muskoka, CANA
The Rating8 people
Beautiful idea with the maple syrup! It should add depth to the caramelized onions. Great recipe!elgab89 in Toronto loved it
Love this recipe!midgelet in Eastern loved it
I could get into this, for sure...:)wynnebaer in Dunnellon loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!