Fried Catfish Sandwiches with Spicy MayonnaiseFrom binky67 6 years ago
- • 1/2 cup mayonnaise shopping list
- • 3/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper shopping list
- • 1/8 teaspoon cayenne shopping list
- • 4 large crusty rolls, split shopping list
- • 3/4 cup cornmeal shopping list
- • 1 1/4 teaspoons salt shopping list
- • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme shopping list
- • 2 pounds catfish fillets shopping list
- • 2 eggs, beaten to mix shopping list
- • 1/4 cup cooking oil shopping list
- • 3 cups tender greens, such as spinach or leaf lettuce (about 2 ounces) shopping list
How to make it
- • In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, 1/2 teaspoon of the black pepper, and the cayenne. Spread the mayonnaise mixture on the rolls.
- • In a shallow bowl, combine the cornmeal with the salt, thyme, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Dip the fillets into the beaten eggs and then into the seasoned cornmeal. Shake off the excess cornmeal.
- • In a large nonstick frying pan, heat the oil over moderate heat. Add the cornmeal-coated fish and fry, turning once, until golden on the outside and just done in the center, about 4 minutes per side for 3/4-inch-thick fillets. Drain the fish on paper towels. Sandwich the catfish and greens in the rolls.
- • Fish Alternatives: Substitute moderately firm, lean fillets for the catfish. Scrod, rockfish, ocean perch, haddock or tilefish are good options.
- • Wine Recommendation: Choose a gamay from California or a Beaujolais from France, which is also made from the gamay grape. Chill the wine slightly for maximum enjoyment.
The Cookbinky67 Ellicott City, MD
The Rating4 people
My son is always bringing me catfish thanks for the great recipe.gagagrits in Irmo loved it
That cayenne really does make this special what a great recipe.MMmmmmm
Michaeltrigger in loved it
Just look at those rolls and this is so tasty. I made this but had to make my own rolls of course.
An absolutely super sandwich. ^5 and thanks for the post.
joymariemystic_river1 in Bradenton loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!