Candied Almond Sweet Potato PieFrom mountainmama 8 years ago
- CRUST: shopping list
- 2 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose flour shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 teaspoon sugar shopping list
- 3/4 cup Crisco® butter shortening, chilled shopping list
- 5 tablespoons ice-cold water shopping list
- candiED ALMOND LAYER: shopping list
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds shopping list
- 2 tablespoons Hungry Jack® Microwave Ready Regular syrup shopping list
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar shopping list
- Crisco® Original No-Stick cooking spray shopping list
- sweet potato LAYER: shopping list
- 1 1/4 cups mashed, baked sweet potato shopping list
- 2/3 cup sugar shopping list
- 1/4 cup Hungry Jack® Microwave Ready Regular syrup shopping list
- 3 large egg yolks shopping list
- 1/2 cup heavy cream shopping list
- 6 tablespoons Crisco® butter shortening, melted shopping list
- 1/2 cup toasted sweet coconut, crumbled shopping list
- 1/2 cup toffee bits shopping list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract shopping list
- TOPPING: shopping list
- 3 large egg whites shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 (7 oz.) jar marshmallow creme shopping list
- Additional toasted sweet coconut to sprinkle over top shopping list
How to make it
- 1. COMBINE flour, salt and sugar in large bowl. Cut in shortening using pastry blender or 2 knives until all flour is blended in to form pea-sized chunks. Sprinkle water over mixture, one tablespoon at a time; toss with a fork until dough will form a ball.
- 2. DIVIDE dough as follows: 2/3 of dough for crust and 1/3 of dough for leaves around crust. Press dough to make 2 pancakes. Lightly flour surface and rolling pin. Roll larger pancake into a circle to fit a 9-inch pie plate. Fold dough into quarters and unfold and press into pie plate.
- 3. ROLL remaining dough; cut leaves to place around outer crust, using ice water to attach. Cover crust with plastic wrap; place in refrigerator while preparing filling.
- CANDIED ALMOND LAYER:
- 1. SPRAY a pie plate or shallow pan with no-stick cooking spray. Combine almonds, maple syrup and brown sugar in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir gently until mixture comes to a full boil. Boil 1 minute. Turn out into prepared pie plate. Cool.
- SWEET POTATO LAYER:
- 1. HEAT oven to 350ºF. Combine sweet potatoes, sugar, maple syrup, egg yolks, heavy cream, melted shortening, toasted coconut, toffee bits and vanilla in medium bowl. Mix until well blended. Set aside.
- 1. BEAT salt and egg whites in medium bowl until soft peaks form. Add marshmallow creme gradually. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- 1. CRUMBLE candied almond layer; sprinkle evenly over bottom of prepared crust. Gently pour sweet potato layer over first layer. Bake 45 minutes.
- 2. INCREASE oven to 375ºF. Spread topping over filling, covering completely to edge of pie. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, until lightly browned. Sprinkle with additional toasted coconut and serve.
People Who Like This Dish 8
The Cookmountainmama Heaven, WV
The Rating7 people
awwwwwwwwww this sounds wonderful great post high 5minitindel in THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY loved it
love the ingredients thanks high5momo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
You are posting some fantastic recipes. This one looks and sounds decadent. You have my 5 as well. Great post.chefmeow in Garland loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!