Chicken Soup From My Mother-in-lawFrom lor 8 years ago
- 1/4 head of cabbage or 1 head of endive, washed, steamed and chopped to small chunk sized pieces shopping list
- 2 hard boiled eggs, chopped shopping list
- Note: If you don't like the addition of chopped hard boiled eggs in your soup, my Mother-in-law and I have added 4 eggs in the shell(washed) to the soup and have hard boiled them that way. Then whoever wants hard boiled eggs can have one ;) shopping list
- 2 lbs. chicken, cut up shopping list
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped shopping list
- about 5 or 6 tops of celery with leaves shopping list
- 1 chicken boullion cube or packet of OXO shopping list
- Note: If you want to use more cubes or packets or chicken broth then by all means, feel free. shopping list
- 2 carrots, chopped shopping list
- 2 celery ribs, chopped shopping list
- 1-1/2 cups egg noodles or your favourite pasta or Spätzle. shopping list
How to make it
- Place chicken, onion, celery leaves in a pot.
- Cover with cold water and bring to a rolling boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is very tender and falls from the bones. (1-1/2 hours.)
- Remove chicken, celery leaves and onion.
- Discard celery leaves.
- Remove chicken from bones and chop chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Note: You can use boneless chicken but I find with the bone in it adds more flavour to the soup. It's also old world cooking.
- Reserve this delicious broth.
- Add celery and carrots to the broth.
- Cook until tender (10 minutes)
- Add escarole, noodles or spätzle, eggs, and chicken.
- Bring to a low boil.
- Simmer until noodles are cooked.
- Serve hot with a loaf of crusty bread.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese on top and you'll see how delicious this soup is.
The Cooklor Toronto, Canada
The Rating7 people
Growing up in Michigan, my English family was influenced by their Polish/Ukrainian neighbors. I love this! It just says comfort/family/goodness to me.morninlite in Kalamazoo loved it
De-luscious. Thanks for the post. I will enjoy this one. It sounds like a very special soup filled with love.
joymariemystic_river1 in Bradenton loved it
My family and I love soups and this soup looks especially good. Thank you so much for a great high 5 recipe and sharing it with all of us.chacha in New York loved it