Chocolate Truffle TorteFrom fizzle3nat 5 years ago
- CAKE: shopping list
- 1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips shopping list
- 1/2 c. stick butter or margarine shopping list
- 1/2 c. all-purpose flour (right, only 1/2 c.) shopping list
- 4 eggs, yolks and whites separated shopping list
- 1/2 c. sugar shopping list
- 1 - 2 1/2 oz. pkg. hazelnuts, finley chopped and toasted (2/3 c.) shopping list
- chocolate TRUFFLE FILLING: shopping list
- 2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips shopping list
- 1/4 c. stick butter or margarine shopping list
- 1/2 c. whipping (heavy) cream or hazelnut-flavored nondairy liquid creamer shopping list
- Additional toasted, chopped hazelnuts shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease bottom and sides of 2 round pans, 9" x 1 1/2" with shortening. Line bottoms of pans with waxed paper or parchment paper.
- Melt chocolate chips and butter in heavy 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly; cool 5 min. Stir in flour until smooth. Stir in egg yolks until well blended.
- Beat egg whites in large bowl with electric mixer on high speed until foamy. Beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until soft peaks form. Fold chocolate mixture into egg whites. Fold in toasted hazelnuts. Spread in pans.
- Bake about 25 min. or until tops of cakes appear dry and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 min. Run knife along side of each cake to loosen; remove from pan to wire rack. Remove waxed paper. Cool completely.
- Prepare Chocolate Truffle Filling (instructions below). Spread 2/3 c. of the filling on bottom layer. Top with other layer. Frost top and sides of cake with remaining filling. Drizzle with any remaining filling and garnish with hazelnuts.
- CHOCOLATE TRUFFLE FILLING:
- Heat chocolate chips and butter in heavy 2-quart saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate is melted; remove from heat.
- Stir in whipping cream. Refrigerate 30 - 40 minutes, stirring frequently, just until thick enough to mound and hold its shape when dropped from a spoon. (If filling becomes too thick, microwave on High (100%) 10 - 15 seconds to soften.)