Ropa ViejaFrom mrspotatohead 8 years ago
- 3 1/2 lbs chuck roast shopping list
- salt and pepper (to taste) shopping list
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided shopping list
- 1 cup water shopping list
- 2 onions, sliced shopping list
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 1 green pepper, chopped shopping list
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 1/2 cup red wine shopping list
- hot cooked rice (for serving) shopping list
How to make it
- Season meat with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large pot and brown meat well on both sides.
- Add water. Cover and simmer over low heat 2 ½ hours
- Allow meat to cool, covered, in pan juices. Shred meat and set aside in a bowl with pan juices.
- Heat remaining oil in large pot.
- Sauté onions and garlic apx 2 minute (do not let garlic brown).
- Add green pepper. Sauté apx 2 minute longer. Add tomato sauce, salt, bay leaf, wine and meat with pan juices.
- Cover. Simmer over low heat 20 minute
- Remove bay leaf.
- Serve over rice.