Cremeschnitte - Creme SlicesFrom minitindel 7 years ago
- Puff Pastry: shopping list
- 8 - oz unsalted butter shopping list
- 8 - oz flour shopping list
- 1 - egg yolk shopping list
- 1 - Tbsp water shopping list
- 1 - Tbsp flour shopping list
- 1 - Tsp salt shopping list
- Getting Started:.......................... shopping list
- Combine butter and 1 Tbsp of flour into a lump. shopping list
- Pour 8 oz flour in a mixing bowl or on a clean work surface shopping list
- . Make a hole in the middle, add egg yolk, salt and cold water. Knead the mass well until it becomes firm. shopping list
- Place on a floured work surface. Using a knife, cut a 3/4 inch cross into the dough. shopping list
- Cover the dough with the bowl and let stand for 30 minutes. Using a rolling pin, shape the dough into 4 semicircles resembling flower petals. Place the lump of butter in the middle, then cover with one of the semicircles. shopping list
- Press down on the edges of the semicircle to seal in butter. Make sure that butter cannot escape through any holes of the dough pocket. shopping list
- Cover the pocket with the remaining semicircles. Using the rolling pin, gently tap on the pocket so that butter spreads evenly. Shape the dough into a long, about 1/2 inch thick rectangle. shopping list
- Flip one third of the rectangle toward the center. Flip the other end to the center, like folding a business letter. shopping list
- Rotate the dough 90 degrees. shopping list
- Flip the left half over the right. shopping list
- Wrap the dough into a plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. shopping list
- After the dough has been refrigerated for 30 minutes, unwrap the dough. Discard the plastic wrap. shopping list
- Repeat the folding and rotating process of the dough. Make sure you roll out the dough in the direction opposite to the one of folding. shopping list
- Repeat the folding, rotating and refrigerating process of the dough two more times for a total of four times. If the dough becomes soft or sticky during this process, immediately refrigerate until firm. shopping list
- After the fourth turn, wrap the finished dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate to make sure it is well-chilled before baking. shopping list
- puff pastry keeps refrigerated for up to three days, or frozen for several months. shopping list
- Note: Do not grease the baking dish when baking puff pastry............ shopping list
How to make it
- Roll out the dough into two sheets of same length and width.
- Place in a baking dish. Do not grease the baking dish. Using a fork, make holes to ensure that the dough will rise evenly while baking. First bake at 480F; once the dough turns slightly yellow, lower the heat to 390F and finally to 300F.
- Puff pastry sheets should be golden brown when done.
- COOL WHIP whipped topping or whipped cream
- Vanilla Pudding Filling
- 2 - 1/2 cup milk
- 5 - oz granulated sugar
- 2 - vanilla instant pudding mixes
- 2 - large eggs
- vanilla sugar
- 1 - Tbsp rum
- 9 -1/2 oz softened unsalted butter
- Making the Filling:
- Combine 1½ cup milk with 5 oz sugar in a sauce pan.
- Cook until the mixture starts boiling. Pour the rest of the milk in a bowl, then whisk in pudding mixes and eggs.
- Pour the pudding mixture in the boiling milk, stirring constantly. When pudding thickens, take it off the heat and chill the pot in cold water. Stir frequently to prevent “skin” from forming.
- Mix in vanilla and rum.
- Chill well.
- Whisk butter until it gets fluffy. Spoon it into the pudding while stirring constantly.
- Assembling the Whole Thing:
- Keep one pastry sheet in the baking dish. Using a spatula, layer the filling evenly on the pastry sheet.
- The filling should be around 1 inch high.
- Top it with Cool Whip or whipped cream.
- Spread evenly.
- Carefully place the second pastry sheet on top. Use a big, sharp knife to cut puff pastry.
- Start on one end of the baking dish and work your way to the other. Hold the knife just above the top pastry sheet. While barely touching the pastry sheet, tap on the knife blade with a very fast movement. Cut 2 inch cubes.
- Dust with confectionary sugar and serve.
People Who Like This Dish 9
The Cookminitindel THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY, CA
The Rating6 people
You don't know how happy you made me posting these! They are the best, most delicious things ever and my hubby's fave dessert! I could make a whole batch of these babies and he would finish them all by himself. Time consuming, maybe - satisfaction 10...moreelgab89 in Toronto loved it
yum... ^5peetabear in mid-hudson valley loved it
I made this for a party two days ago! Tweaked to 8 oz of butter instead of 9 and used prepared puff pastry. The filling was wonderful! I also chose to use real whipped cream instead of cool whip. I pre cut my tops before baking so that I can cut ...moreusamacka in loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!