Crab Apples PickledFrom chacha 7 years ago
- 8 quarts crab apples shopping list
- 1 quart vinegar shopping list
- 1-1/2 - 2 cups water shopping list
- 1 quart sugar shopping list
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon + 1 cinnamon stick broken in half shopping list
- 4-6 cloves or 1 Tbsp. clove shopping list
- 1 tsp. nutmeg, freshly grated shopping list
- 1 tsp. allspice shopping list
- 2 inch piece orange zest - no pith or white part shopping list
- a tiny drop of red food coloring shopping list
- Makes 4 -6 , 5 pint jars shopping list
How to make it
- Make a spiced syrup by heating together the vinegar, water, sugar, red food coloring with spices and orange zest that have been tied in a cheesecloth bag.
- There should be enough syrup for about 5 pints.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- When cool, add crab apples and slowly bring to a steam, being careful not to burst the fruit.
- Remove from the heat and allow crab apples to stand overnight.
- The next morning, remove the spice bag and pack apples without reheating, into clean jars.
- Fill the jars to within 1/2 inch of the top of jar with syrup.
- Cap the jars, screwing the bands tightly.
- Process in a water bath at a simmering temperature (180 degrees F) for 20 minutes.
- Remove the jars and tighten the lids again.
The Cookchacha New York, NY
The Rating5 people
great post...peetabear in mid-hudson valley loved it
my sister has a crab apple tree and no recipes...just forwarded this old favorite of mine to her. yummy!mamalou in Attleboro loved it
Thank you my friend!
Will try next Fall.
Your the best!
Jo & Leejolielives in The Catskill Plateau loved it