Lunchtime Beans and RiceFrom jo_jo_ba 8 years ago
- 2 1/2 cups cold water shopping list
- 1 cup raw long-grain brown rice shopping list
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth shopping list
- 1/2 tbsp cornstarch shopping list
- 1 cubanelle pepper, diced shopping list
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced shopping list
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped shopping list
- 3 garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest shopping list
- 1/2 cup corn kernels shopping list
- 1 tsp kosher salt shopping list
- 1 19-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed shopping list
- 2 tbsp vinegar shopping list
- Freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- hot sauce (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Add the rice, reduce the heat and simmer (covered) for 40 minutes or until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed.
- Transfer to a large bowl and cool.
- Combine broth and cornstarch in a small microwaveable cup.
- Heat 30-45 seconds, stirring every 15, until clear and thick. Set aside.
- Heat 1/4 cup water in a non-stick pan.
- Add the peppers, onion and garlic and stir until slightly browned, about 7 minutes.
- Add the zest, corn and salt and cook 1 minute.
- Transfer the vegetables to the bowl with the rice.
- Add the beans, thickened broth and vinegar and toss well.
- Season with plenty of pepper and toss again. Add hot sauce if you want more heat.
People Who Like This Dish 8
The Cookjo_jo_ba Oshawa, CA
The Rating4 people
Lovely recipe, jo-jo-ba! Thanks and FIVE !chefelaine in Muskoka loved it
Very nice recipe, Jojo! Saved and will try it!elgab89 in Toronto loved it
On A Budget559 members
Foodies That Follow WWs48 members
OrganicSustainable Farming Group171 members
Growing Your Own Herbs Vegetables385 members
Comfort Foods775 members
Gluten Free No Wheat240 members
Eat Light Healthy457 members
Weight Watchers282 members
Cooking For Food Allergies45 members