King Ranch ChickenFrom chefjeb 9 years ago
- 1 whole chicken shopping list
- 2 onions,, divided shopping list
- 2 ribs celery, chopped shopping list
- Bay leaf shopping list
- 1 carrot shopping list
- 1 can 10 3/4 oz) cream of mushroom soup shopping list
- 1 can (10 3/4 oz) cream of chicken soup shopping list
- 8 oz cheddar cheese, grated shopping list
- 12 corn tortillas shopping list
- 1 bell pepper, chopped shopping list
- 1 can (10) oz tomates with green chillies (Ro-Tel) shopping list
- chili powder - optional shopping list
- granulated garlic, optional shopping list
How to make it
- Boil chicken with celery, 1 onion, carrot and bay leaf. Remeove when tender and reserve stock. Cut into bite size pieces
- Have at ready a buttered 9 x 12 baking dish.
- Mix soups, tomatoes, set aside
- Soften tortillas in boiling chicken stock
- Place six tortillas in bottom of baking dish, overlapping
- Top with layer of chicken, then onion,, bell pepper.
- OPTIONAL - sprinkle with chili powder, granulated garlic
- Layer soup, tomatoes and top with cheese
- You should have used half of the ingredients. This is a two-layer casserole.
- Repeat layering starting with tortillas
- Juices in casserole should be about half the depth of the dish, if not add chicken stock.
- Bake uncovered at 375 for 30-40 minutes until hot and bubbly.
- Top with addional cheese about 5 minutes before removing from oven, if desired.
- Note: This may be made ahead and frozen..
- Note: This is not a part of any classic recipe, but we also top with the extra cheese and Frito Corn Chips.
People Who Like This Dish 23
The Cookchefjeb Carthage, MS
The Rating6 people
This is an all-time favorite recipe. I'm not a fan of the optional chil powder, but I am going to try it with the corn chip topping and extra cheese. For anyone who hasn't tried this, this is yummy. I prepare it, the night before and refrigeate it fo...moreramlynrose in Pearl loved it
Oh. My. Goodness. I love this classic recipe and haven't had it in ages. Thank you for reminding me of how good it is...am bookmarking to make soon. Great post. =)lunasea in Orlando loved it
Hey there. Just a big Gracias for this recipe! I made it last night and it was Superb! The one alteration I made to it, and it may be worth noting for people who don't like spicy food, is that instead of using Rotel tomatoes, I just used a can of ste...morejanabeth in Grand Forks loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!