Elaines Homemade Scratch Pizza With A PlusFrom chefelaine 8 years ago
- 1 ½ cups ‘best-for-bread’ flour shopping list
- 1 pkg active dry yeast shopping list
- ½ cup warm water shopping list
- ½ tsp sugar shopping list
- 1 whole egg, beaten shopping list
- pizza sauce (small can) –*** or make your own; recipe follows. shopping list
- 1/8 lb Polish sausage, thinly sliced shopping list
- 1/8 lb. pepperoni, thinly sliced shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 medium ripe tomato, thinly sliced shopping list
- 2 green onions, finely chopped shopping list
- 3 large radishes, finely chopped shopping list
- ¼ cup green olives, finely chopped shopping list
- ¼ cup ripe olives, finely chopped shopping list
- 1/8 cup anchovies (optional) shopping list
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- mozzarella cheese, grated (amount is your choice) shopping list
- cheddar cheese, grated (amount is your choice) shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- ================================ shopping list
- The homemade pizza sauce: shopping list
- In a saucepan, combine these ingredients… shopping list
- 4 large tomatoes, ripe, coarsely chopped shopping list
- 1 small onion, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce shopping list
- 1/8 tsp cayenne powder shopping list
- ½ medium green pepper, finely chopped shopping list
- ¼ cup REAL bacon bits shopping list
- ¼ tsp salt shopping list
- 2 tbsp Italian salad dressing shopping list
- 1/4 cup dry red wine shopping list
- 1/8 cup water shopping list
How to make it
- The sauce:
- Combine all listed ingredients for the sauce...
- On medium high heat, cook until the contents reduce to half, stirring often to prevent sticking
- Allow the sauce to cool completely
- Grind the sauce with a hand blender, or food processor until it is smooth and fine
- In the interim, work on your pizza dough…
- The Dough:
- Combine all the dry ingredients
- Combine the yeast mixture with the beaten egg and oil.
- Add slowly to dry ingredients, mixing well, until the dough starts to come away from the bowl.
- Add more flour as needed to make the dough workable
- Gently knead the dough, folding, pressing, and turning, for about 5 minutes.
- This dough does not have to be kneaded to the smooth and blistered stage.
- Butter and flour the pizza pan
- Now, shape the dough into a ball, and gradually flatten out to fit the pizza pan.
- Let the dough sit for about five minutes to dry a little on top, then begin adding ingredients:
- Add the tomato sauce first
- Top with the aforementioned ingredients, and sprinkle with the cheeses
- To bake:
- Preheat oven to 425*F
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the dough is golden brown, and the center of the pizza is bubbling
- Allow the finished pizza to rest for about five minutes to allow the tomato sauce to firm up.
- ***alternative topping suggestions:
- yellow or orange sweet pepper
- lemon or lime zest
- jalapeno peppers
- Gruyere’ cheese
- Sweet pepper seeds (for a nice, nutty flavor)
- Broken cashew nuts
- ENJOY! :+D
The Cookchefelaine Muskoka, CANA
The Rating19 people
Looks Great chefelaine...we like to make our own pizza as well...Great poststewie in Winnipeg loved it
5 points buddyfrodo in meadville loved it
WOW, Elaine! Wait till Peter sees this. He's off running some errands right now, so I decided to get in here. It's a fantastic recipe and I rated it a five.
Take care of that cold and I hope you feel better soon.
Candydagnabbit in Barrie loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!