Thanksgiving Pheasant And Wild Mushroom PateFrom jimrug1 6 years ago
- 1 lb boneless skinless Pheasant Breasts, flattened to about ¼ inch thickness and cut into ½” wide strips. shopping list
- ½ Cup cognac shopping list
- 1/8 Tsp fresh thyme chopped shopping list
- 1 Tbls chopped fresh ginger shopping list
- ¼ Tsp salt shopping list
- ¼ Tsp fresh ground black pepper shopping list
- 1/8 Tsp toasted, ground allspice Berries shopping list
- 1 Tbls green onions, finely minced shopping list
- ********************** shopping list
- STUFFING shopping list
- ½ Cup cognac shopping list
- ½ Cup onions, very finely minced shopping list
- 2 Tbls butter shopping list
- ¾ lb lean pork loin, finely ground shopping list
- ¾ lb lean veal, finely ground shopping list
- 2 eggs lightly beaten shopping list
- 1 ½ Tsp salt shopping list
- 1/8 Tsp fresh ground black pepper shopping list
- ¼ Tsp toasted and ground allspice Berries shopping list
- 1/8 Tsp fresh thyme, chopped shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic crushed shopping list
- 1 lb bacon, blanched shopping list
- 3 bay leaves shopping list
- *********************** shopping list
- wild mushroom DUXELLE shopping list
- 1 lb wild mushrooms, finely chopped shopping list
- ¼ cup shallots, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 Tbls garlic, minced shopping list
- ¼ cup cognac shopping list
- 2 Tbls olive oil shopping list
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste. shopping list
- ****************** shopping list
- GARNISH shopping list
- red leaf lettuce shopping list
- red onion Slices shopping list
- fresh sage leaves shopping list
How to make it
- In a non reactive bowl, combine Pheasant strips, Cognac, Salt and Pepper, Thyme, Ginger, Allspice and Green Onions. Set aside for 1 – 2 hrs.
- WILD MUSHROOM DUXELLE
- In a large heavy skillet, heat Olive Oil on medium high. Add Mushrooms, and cook 5 – 6 mins. Add Shallots and Garlic and cook another 4-5 mins. Season with Salt and Pepper. Add Cognac, cook until almost all the liquid has evaporated. Transfer to a food processor and pulse to a chunky paste. Let cool completely.
- Over medium heat, cook Onions slowly in the butter until brown around the edges. Deglaze with the Cognac and reduced by half. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Scrape the Cognac/Onion mixture into a large mixing bowl. Add Pork, Veal, Eggs, Salt, Pepper, Allspice, Thyme and Garlic. Mix with your hands or a wooden spoon until thoroughly blended.
- Remove game strips from marinade and drain in a colander. Add remaining marinade to stuffing and mix well.
- To assemble:
- Plunge Bacon into boiling water, remove immediately and drain briefly under cold running water), reserve a few strips for top of pate. Line bottom and sides of a loaf pan with blanched bacon strips.
- Divide stuffing into three parts. Dip hands in cold water and arrange first third of the stuffing in bottom of loaf pan. Cover with half the strips of game. Spoon half of the Duxelle evenly over the Game Strips and smooth over.
- Repeat layering with another third of stuffing, remaining half of game strips and mushroom Duxelle.
- Spread remaining third of stuffing on top. Space bay leaves evenly on top and cover with remaining blanched bacon.
- Cover top of pan with aluminum foil and set in larger pan of boiling water (water should come about halfway up the outside of loaf pan).
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 ½ hours. Remove loaf pan from water and place another weighted loaf pan on top of foil-wrapped pate. Cool pate at room temperature several hours . Chill, still weighted.
- Remove foil, place a decorative rectangular serving platter on top of the pan and invert the pate onto the platter. Arrange Lettuce around Pate. Shingle Red Onion slices on top of Lettuce. Sprinkle entire platter with fresh Sage leaves.
- Serve in slices with Pickles, Fruit Chutney, crackers and toasted Baguette slices.
People Who Like This Dish 8
The Cookjimrug1 Peoria, IL
The Rating7 people
Thank-you so much for sharing such a
Deluxe~Dynamite "5"FORK!!!!! recipe ~
The combination of all the flavors is
How has the world been 'treating you' these days?
I hope all is well in your "neck-...moremjcmcook in Beach City loved it
Hi 5 Jim!! What a great recipe! Thank you for sharing.gourmetana in London loved it
You leave me breathless! How magnificent is this?
Thanks and a 5 is not enough but it's all I have to give.mystic_river1 in Bradenton loved it