British Fish And ChipsFrom moggy 7 years ago
- beef dripping or vegetable oil for deep frying shopping list
- 4 Large cod, haddock or white fish shopping list
- seasoned flour shopping list
- For the chips shopping list
- 4 Large potatoes shopping list
- For the batter shopping list
- 100g/4oz Plain flour shopping list
- 150ml/5fl.oz beer can use milk or water shopping list
- 1 level teasp salt shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
How to make it
- Wash the fish fillets and dry well. Set aside.
- Preheat the deep fat fryer to 170C, 325F and the oven to 180C, 350F, Gas Mark 4.
- Peel the potatoes then cut into 1/2 inch/1cm slices then cut each slice into 1/2 inch/1cm thick sticks
- Dry the potato sticks well on kitchen paper.
- Fry in the oil for 8-10 minutes without browning too much.
- Meanwhile, place all the batter ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix together with a whisk until smooth. This should be a fairly thick batter otherwise it won't adhere to the fish.
- Coat the fish fillets in seasoned flour, then dip into the batter to coat well. Leave submerged in the batter until the chips are soft.
- Drain the softened (but not browned) chips and transfer to an oven proof plate. Cover with aluminum foil and keep warm in the oven whilst you cook the fish.
- Raise the temperature of the oil to 190C, 375F.
- Add the coated fish fillets directly to the oil without the basket being raised, and cook for 4-6 minutes (depending on the thickness of the fillets).
- Drain the fish from the fat, raise the heat of the fryer to 190C, 375F. Place the fish on crumpled kitchen paper and put in the oven whilst you finish the chips.
- When the fat is at the right temperature, return the chips to the pan, gently lowering the basket into the oil. Cook for 3-4 minutes until browned.
- To serve - drain the chips well and serve immediately with the fish.
The Cookmoggy Bristol, GB
The Rating8 people
Great post. Thanksgreekgirrrl in Huntington Village loved it
I LOVE Fish and Chips!! HIGH FIVE! :+Dchefelaine in Muskoka loved it
Simply Gorgeous!!! I hope mine turns out as well!misslizzi in Philadelphia loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!