Make It Yourself-granolaFrom keni 8 years ago
- 2 1/2 cups old fashioned oats(not quick cooking) shopping list
- 3/4 cup wheat germ shopping list
- 2-3T brown sugar(this can be omitted, if you want) shopping list
- 1/2t salt shopping list
- 2T light cooking oil shopping list
- 1/2-1 cup nuts(sliced almonds, pecans, walnuts, cashews, peanuts, hazelnuts, macadamia nuts, pistachios, etc, chopped, pine nuts or sunflower or pumpkin seeds or kernels) shopping list
- 1-2 cups dried fruit(banana chips, apples, pineapple, mango, currants, raisins, cranberries, blueberries, dates, etc, or coconut) shopping list
- 1t lemon or orange zest shopping list
- 1t vanilla or almond extract shopping list
- 1/2t cinnamon or nutmeg(if desired, depending on add ins used) shopping list
- 1/2 cup honey shopping list
- 6T water, divided shopping list
How to make it
- In large bowl, combine oats, wheat germ, brown sugar(if using), salt and nuts.
- In small saucepan, combine 2-3T water, honey and oil and cook to boiling. Add "flavorings"(spices, zest and extracts), reduce heat and simmer about 3 minutes.
- Carefully pour over oat mixture, reserving about 1/3 of the honey mixture.
- Toss to coat.
- Run hands under cool water and, with wet hands, pick up handfuls of mixture and lightly "press" together and carefully drop on sprayed cookie sheet.
- Continue with remaining mixture. This technique will create the tasty granola "clumps" in the finished mix. If you don't want those, just dump the oat mixture on the sheet. :)
- Keep bowl handy :)
- Bake at 250 for about 30 minutes, carefully stirring after 15.
- Remove sheet from oven, let cool a couple minutes til able to handle and carefully put back into original bowl.
- Add dried fruit and remaining honey mixture and 2-3T water and toss to mix.
- Once again, with wet hands, drop handfuls of mixture back to cookie sheet, as above.
- Continue to bake about 15 minutes more, until fruits start to plump and granola is golden brown.
- **the granola pictured is made with chopped pecans and dried cherries, cranberries, and blueberries, and the cream on top is sour cream mixed with nutmeg and vanilla***
The Cookkeni Sweet Home, AL
The Rating6 people
I cant wait! You Rock!slj6lori in Succasunna loved it
Ok everyone....my rave would be way to long if I were to start! This is fantastic! The best granola ever...will never buy store bought again. My flavor combo was chopped pecans, slivered almonds, orange zest and dried cranberries. This recipe is a 10...moreslj6lori in Succasunna loved it
This worked out great and I can't wait to make another batch! A good recipe you left behind Keni :) Make It Yourself Granola
1/13/14mommyluvs2cook in Santa Fe loved it