Butter ChickenFrom katerina 8 years ago
- 1C raw cashews shopping list
- 2t garam masala shopping list
- 2t ground coriander shopping list
- 3/4t chili powder shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic chopped coarsely shopping list
- 2t fresh ginger, grated shopping list
- 2T white vinegar shopping list
- 1/3C tomato paste shopping list
- 1/2C yogourt shopping list
- 1kg chicken thighs or breast cut into 1" chunks shopping list
- 2T butter shopping list
- 1 onion, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 cinnamon stick shopping list
- 4 cardamom pods, bruised shopping list
- 1t paprika shopping list
- 1 small can crushed tomatoes (400g) shopping list
- 3/4C chicken stock shopping list
- 1C whipping cream shopping list
- rice and naan to serve it with shopping list
How to make it
- Stir nuts, garam masala, coriander, and chili in a small lightly heated frying pan. Toss until nuts are lightly browned.
- Put nut mixture in food processor, add garlic, ginger, vinegar, paste and yogourt. Process until smooth.
- Put chicken into mixture and mix thoroughly. Allow chicken to marinate for at least a few hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan, cook onion with cinnamon and cardamom until browned. Add paprika, crushed tomatoes and stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes.
- Remove cinnamon and cardamom (if you can find it). Stir in cream and simmer for another 5 minutes. Serve over basmati rice with naan.
The Cookkaterina Vancouver, CA
The Rating11 people
This looks incredibly good and completely doable. I feel like I'm missing something though...when is the chicken added?
That's to marinate, if I'm reading it correctly. How does it get cooked? Add it to the butter saute? When you add the tomatoes and stock? I'm sure I could figure it out, but I've never experimented with Indian cuisine.
Thanks Katerina! I'm really looking forward to trying this.