Souffle A La Broccoli And RicottaFrom virtualsteve 7 years ago
- 2 cups broccoli, heads mainly but some stem if fresh is okay shopping list
- 2 cups ricotta (light or full strength both work) shopping list
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan shopping list
- 5 egg yolks shopping list
- 1 tspn ground nutmeg shopping list
- 1/2 tspn cayenne pepper shopping list
- 1 finely chopped onion shopping list
- 2 crushed cloves garlic shopping list
- 2 Tbsp olive oil shopping list
- 2 Tbsp butter shopping list
- 4 Tbsp bread crumbs shopping list
- 5 egg whites shopping list
- 1/2 tspn cream of tartar shopping list
- sprinkling of sea salt shopping list
- sprinkling of cracked pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 200 Celsius (380 F)
- Cook the broccoli in boiling water for 3 minutes, drain and allow to cool slightly, then chop into little bite size portions
- Put olive oil and butter in a fry pan, add onion & garlic and saute until onion has softened. Tip onion/garlic mixture into a large mixing bowl.
- Add broccoli, ricotta, parmesan, egg yolks, nutmeg, cayenne, pepper, sea salt and mix well with a large spoon.
- In your mixer bowl (or use hand whisk if necessary) place egg whites, cream of tartar and a sprinkling of sea salt. Whisk the egg whites until they are very stiff and fluffy.
- Add about 1/3 of the egg whites to the onion/broccoli/cheese mixture and stir in well (this loosens up that part of the mixture).
- Grease a soufflé or casserole dish with some butter and then add the breadcrumbs to the bottom of the dish. Roll dish around so that the inside is coated with the breadcrumbs. Tip out and discard any remaining breadcrumbs.
- Now gently fold in the remaining egg white to the onion/broccoli/cheese mixture taking care to keep the result light and fluffy.
- Tip mixture into coated dish and place into oven.
- Bake for 40 minutes (mixture will set and top will bake a lovely brown), remove, allow to rest for 3-5 minutes then serve.