3-step Sassy Sage Chicken Dumpling SoupFrom mystic_river1 4 years ago
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms shopping list
- 1 cup chopped onions shopping list
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil shopping list
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth shopping list
- 1 2- to 2-1/2-lb. deli-roasted chicken, skinned, boned, and cut in chunks shopping list
- 2 cups frozen peas shopping list
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, halved shopping list
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice shopping list
- 1 tsp. ground sage shopping list
- -------------- shopping list
- 1 buttermilk Dumplings recipe (see below) shopping list
- ---- shopping list
- Thinly sliced green onion (optional) shopping list
- Fried sage leaves (optional) shopping list
- ------------ shopping list
- buttermilk DUMPLINGS shopping list
- ----- shopping list
- 1 c. flour shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda shopping list
- 1/2 c. buttermilk shopping list
- salt shopping list
- Mix ingredients together. roll out and cut into squares, drop into broth. shopping list
How to make it
- In 4-quart Dutch oven cook mushrooms and onions in hot oil over medium heat 6 to 8 minutes until liquid has evaporated. Stir in flour until combined. (roux)
- Add broth all at once; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in chicken, peas, olives, lemon juice, and sage.
- Return to boiling.
- Prepare Buttermilk Dumpling dough; drop dough, 1/3 cup at a time, onto boiling soup.
- Simmer, covered, 10 minutes or until toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean.
- To serve sprinkle with green onion and Fried Sage Leaves.
- Buttermilk Dumplings:
- Combine 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1/2 tsp. baking powder; 1/4 tsp. baking soda, and 1/4 tsp. salt.
- Stir in 1/4 cup sliced green onions and 1 Tbsp. snipped (flat-leaf) Italian parsley.
- Add 1 cup buttermilk and 2 Tbsp. olive oil; stir until moistened.
- Fried Sage Leaves: Heat 1/4 cup olive oil over medium heat. Add 8 sage sprigs, 2 at a time; cook until crisp, 30 to 60 seconds; drain.
The Cookmystic_river1 Bradenton, Florida
The Rating14 people
I love chicken and dumplings thanksmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
LOVELY recipe, Jm!! 55555lanacountry in Macon loved it
This is definately one I'm going to try. Love all the flavors. Thanks. High 5brianna in loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!