Paprika HendlFrom rivet 6 years ago
- 1 whole chicken 4-6 lbs, cut up (I prefer leg quarters as the dark meat releases more flavour. Any bone-in parts work though) shopping list
- 4 TBSP or so olive oil shopping list
- 2 Large white onions, diced shopping list
- 1/4 Cup sweet Hungarian paprika (yes, one quarter cup packed tightly) shopping list
- 4 Cups V-8 juice shopping list
- 3-4 TBSP flour shopping list
- 3 Cups sour cream (do not use low-fat/no-fat as it curdles) shopping list
- salt and coarse ground black pepper to taste shopping list
How to make it
- If you want, remove skin from chicken. Skin on works fine in the recipe, just make sure you brown it well during the next part of the recipe.
- Brown chicken in olive oil in large cast iron skillet or stockpot.
- Set aside in covered dish, and add diced onions to skillet/pot. If you have taken the skin off chicken you may need to add more olive oil.
- Over medium heat brown onions and at the last minute stir in 1/2 the paprika and mix well.
- Add V-8 juice and place chicken over onions, pouring the released juices all over.
- Cover and simmer 1/2 hour
- Beat flour and remaining paprika into sour cream
- Gently fold this into chicken
- Cover and simmer another 5 to 10 minutes
- Taste and adjust for salt and pepper
- Serve with dumplings, or pasta, or potatoes. "Gemmelli" shaped pasta is my favourite
- Round this out with sourdough bread and a glass of Ale and you have a wintertime feast!
The Cookrivet SW, MO
The Rating3 people
- Not added to any groups yet!