Italian Almond Cookies regular and gluten freeFrom peetabear 8 years ago
- 2 1/4 cups blanched whole almonds (about 12 ounces), plus 15 for garnishing shopping list
- 2/3 cup sugar shopping list
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract shopping list
- 15 glacéed cherries shopping list
How to make it
- Arrange racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat to 350°F. Lightly oil 2 large baking sheets, then line with parchment paper.
- In food processor, combine 2 1/4 cups almonds and 1/3 cup sugar. Process until finely ground, scraping down sides once or twice. Set aside.
- In electric mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat egg whites and salt at high speed until soft peaks form. Reduce speed to medium and gradually sprinkle in remaining 1/3 cup sugar. Return speed to high and beat mixture until stiff, shiny peaks form. Gently fold in ground almond mixture and almond and vanilla extracts.
- Roll mixture into 1-inch balls, place 2 inches apart on baking sheets, and flatten slightly. Top each with glacéed cherry or almond. Bake until cookies are golden, switching positions of pans halfway through, about 25 minutes. Cool on sheets 5 minutes, then transfer to racks to cool completely.
- Cookies keep, wrapped, several days, or frozen, several weeks. Recrisp in warm oven.
The Cookpeetabear Mid-hudson Valley, NY
The Rating7 people
Healthy and delicious! The bishop was right! I love the story, Peeta!elgab89 in Toronto loved it
Fantastic recipe peeta love almonds and the history too.
You bring these and I will bring my Gingerbread Biscotti's to Checkin Central.
Five forkstrigger in loved it
Ahhhhh, Cookie Monster here with my 5 forks! hugssssshirleyoma in Cove loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!