Elaines Old Fashioned Down Home Turkey DinnerFrom chefelaine 6 years ago
- 1 large grain-fed turkey, cleaned and plucked (approx 15 lb) shopping list
- Stuffing (optional) shopping list
- yams, chunked, skins on shopping list
- white potatoes, chinked, skins on shopping list
- fresh broccoli florets and stems, chunked shopping list
- orange, red, and yellow peppers, sliced shopping list
- ========================================= shopping list
- Optional veggies include: shopping list
- onions, carrots, string beans, garden peas shopping list
How to make it
- Roast the bird at 325*F for three hours, covered with tinfoil.
- Add 4 cups of water to the roaster to create steam and help with the gravy...
- After the initial three hours, remove the foil, baste, and turn up the heat to 350*F for the next two hours.
- Add the yams and potatoes now.
- Baste often, basting the potatoes and yams along with the bird.
- For the gravy:
- Make a roux of 1/2 cup creamery butter, with 1/2 cup rice flour. Combine well, then:
- Remove the liquid from the roaster, and transfer to roux in cooking pot.
- Stir until it begins to thicken, on low flame.
- Add salt, pepper, and parsley flakes to taste.
- Leave the gravy simmering on LOW flame until the gravy thickens enough to pour slowly from the spoon, stirring often.
- Taste and adjust to preference, adding more salt, pepper, etc... as desired.
- In the interim, slowly steam the broccoli until tender, then add 1 tsp of creamery butter to it.
- Allow the bird to rest, tented with tinfoil for 15 minutes before carving, then ring that dinner gong!
- This dinner, served with fresh rolls, will make a hit at any family get-together.
- When the meal is done, use the bird carcass to make delicious turkey soup in the slow cooker!
People Who Like This Dish 4
The Cookchefelaine Muskoka, CANA
The Rating22 people
Hi Chef Elaine, this Dinner sounds wonderful. Your desert is absolutely beautiful!bluewaterandsand in GAFFNEY loved it
This does sound wonderful! I have to go check out that cake next!juels in Clayton loved it
Chef Elaine! I'll give you my Gone With the Wind dress (the one I'm wearing) if you'll come to the 4077th and cook this!
Cpl. Klingercpl_klinger in Richmond Hill loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!