Lemon Poppy Seed Cake With Meyer Lemon MousseFrom glennk 5 years ago
- For the cake: shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups (185gr) all purpose flour shopping list
- 1 cup (200gr) sugar shopping list
- 1 tablespoon (14gr) baking powder shopping list
- 1/4 (1.5gr) teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/2 cup egg whites (about 3-4) shopping list
- 3/4 (175ml) cup milk shopping list
- 1/4 cup (62.5ml) lemon juice shopping list
- grated zest of one lemon shopping list
- 1 -2 tablespoon (9gr) poppy seeds shopping list
- 1 stick (113gr) butter, melted shopping list
- For the mousse shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (3 sheets) gelatin shopping list
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) cold water shopping list
- 1 1/4 (310ml) whole milk shopping list
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and scraped (throw the seeds in the pot with the milk) shopping list
- 3 large egg yolks shopping list
- 1/4 cup (50 grams)sugar shopping list
- 1/4 cup (40 gr)cornstarch shopping list
- 1/3 cup (62.5ml) lemon juice shopping list
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest shopping list
- 1 cup (250ml) heavy cream shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 300F. In a bowl, combine all the dry ingredients for the cake. Set aside. In a separate bowl combine the egg whites and the milk. Make a well in the center of the flour mix and slowly add in the egg white mixture while stirring with a whisk. Add in the poppy seeds and the melted butter. Mix with a whisk until smooth.
- I used a spring form cake pan for this but it can also be made as seperate tarts using a sheet pan and cutting out after baking. lightly spray with cooking spray and pour in the batter. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes back clean. Let cool
- Soaking syrup:
- In a small saucepan set over low heat dissolve 1/4 cup lemon in 1/4 cup of water with a couple of tablespoons of sugar. Let cool to room temperature and brush the cake with the syrup.
- Strawberries And Blackberries
- 1 to 2 cups berries
- Quickly wash theberries, pat them dry and slice into 1/8 inch to a 1/4 inch thick slices and line the cake ring with them. Set aside.
- In a ramekin, sprinkle the gelatin over the water and let stand until you prepare the cream. In a medium bowl, whisk the sugar and egg yolks together, add the cornstarch mixing until you get a smooth paste. Set aside.
- Meanwhile in a saucepan combine the milk and vanilla bean on medium heat until boiling. Remove from heat and add slowly to egg mixture, whisking constantly to prevent curdling, (pour through a strainer if this happens). Remove vanilla bean. Place the egg mixture back into a medium saucepan and cook over medium heat until thick, stirring constantly. Add the lemon juice and zest, cook another 30 seconds and remove from the heat. Immediately add in the gelatin and stir until completely dissolved. Place a piece of plastic wrap on the surface of the cream so that it does not develop a skin as it cools to room temperature.
- Whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form and gently fold it into the pastry cream. Pipe or spoon the mousse immediately in the cake pan, level the top with an offset spatula and refrigerate.
The Cookglennk Dalmeny, CA
The Rating4 people
wow!midgelet in Eastern loved it
YUMM! I always have access to meyer lemons and have used them quite a bit. I'm so excited to try this new recipe~! Thanks - it looks fabulous!!strlslvr in Carmel loved it
OMG, that looks so cute! Love the cake and love the mousse here too! Great pictures!juels in Clayton loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!