Waldorf SaladFrom chefelaine 8 years ago
- 11/2 cups Chantilly Dressing (see recipe included) shopping list
- 4 lb crisp, red eating apples shopping list
- 1 lb celery, small dice shopping list
- 4 oz walnuts, coarsely chopped shopping list
- 25 each lettuce cups shopping list
- 2 oz Chopped walnuts optional garnish shopping list
- ========================================= shopping list
- The Chantilly Dressing: shopping list
- Simple to make.... to 2 cups mayonnaise, simply add 1 cup of whipped cream. shopping list
How to make it
- Prepare the dressing.
- Place it in a large stainless-steel bowl and have it ready in the refrigerator.
- Core the apples and dice them to 1/2 inch, without peeling them.
- As soon as the apples are cut, add them to the dressing and mix in to prevent darkening.
- Add the celery and walnuts.
- Fold in until evenly mixed.
- Arrange the lettuce cups as bases on cold salad plates or in bowls.
- Using a scoop, place a mound of salad on each plate.
- If garnish is desired, sprinkle each salad with about 1 tsp chopped nuts.
- Hold in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Plain mayonnaise may be used instead of Chantilly dressing.
- Any of the following ingredients may be added to the basic Waldorf mixture.
- If any of these changes is made, the item should no longer be called simply' Waldorf Salad'.
- Change the menu name to indicate that the product contains other ingredients.
- For example: 'Pineapple Waldorf Salad' or 'Apple Date Salad'.
- 8 oz diced pineapple
- 4 oz chopped dates, substituted for the walnuts
- 4 oz raisins, plumped in hot water and drained
- 1 lb shredded cabbage or Chinese cabbage, substituted for the celery.
People Who Like This Dish 8
- chloi121 Where They Do It The Best, New Jersey
- dellissea German Colony, Israel
- crazycookinchick Hartford, CT
- thatsmystyle Hamilton, CA
- chefperiwinkle Scarboro, CA
- kitchenwhizzer Bradford, CA
- dagnabbit Barrie, CA
- momo_55grandma Mountianview, AR
- gapeach55 Covington, GA
- lacrenshaw Horsham, PA
- Show up here?Review or Bookmark it! ✔
The Cookchefelaine Muskoka, CANA
The Rating10 people
I'm a big fan of both The Waldorf Hotel (actually stayed there when it was in its declining years!) AND the salad that bears its name! You variations on this dish are wonderful, elaine. Thanks and my 5.
Lorrainelacrenshaw in Horsham loved it
Love this salad! Yummy, Thanks.gapeach55 in Covington loved it
simple quick easy gotta love it thanks great post.momo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!