Sicilian NougatFrom peetabear 8 years ago
- 3/4 granulated sugar shopping list
- 2 tablespoons water shopping list
- 2/3 cup light corn syrup shopping list
- 1/2 cup egg whites (about 4) at room temperature shopping list
- 2 cups light corn syrup shopping list
- 2 cups sugar shopping list
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into small chunks shopping list
- 2 cup whole blanched almonds shopping list
- 1 cup pistachio nuts, shelled and skinned shopping list
- 1 cup chopped dried cherries shopping list
How to make it
- Pick a dry day for this recipe
- Blend the 3/4 cup sugar, the 2 tablespoons water and the 2/3 cup light corn syrup in a heavy two-quart saucepan until mixture boils. Cover and cook about 3 minutes until the steam has washed down any crystals which may have formed on the sides of the pan. Cook uncovered over medium heat, without stirring, to the soft-ball stage, 234 degrees. Remove pan from heat and let stand while you beat the egg whites in a stand-up mixer until very stiff.
- Add the hot syrup gradually to the whites, continuing to beat at least five minutes until the mass thickens. Blend the 2 cups corn syrup and 2 cups sugar in a heavy 2-quart pan and stir over low heat to boiling point. Cover again for 3 minutes, then uncover and boil rapidly, without stirring, to just under the hard-crack stage, about 285 degrees. Remove from heat and let stand until syrup stops bubbling. Now pour the second mixture into the first and beat until well combined.
- Beat in the butter, and add the almonds, pistachio nuts and chopped cherries. Pour into a half sheet pan lined with parchment paper or dusted with confectioners' sugar and allow to stand for twelve hours. If hard to remove from pan, release sides with a knife. Then hold bottom of pan briefly over heat and reverse the block onto a board for slicing. Slice into 1-inch squares. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and store at room temperature.