Palak panir-Spinach with Fresh CheeseFrom omshivs 5 years ago
- 285 g (8 oz) fresh spinach leaves (without stems) or other greens shopping list
- - spices - shopping list
- 1 tablespoon dried fenugreek leaves, optional shopping list
- 250 g (8 oz) panir or ricotta or firm tofu for vegans shopping list
- oil for deep frying shopping list
- 1 tablespoon ghee (or oil) shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups hot water shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon black cummin seeds shopping list
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger shopping list
- 1 teaspon salt to taste shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar shopping list
- 1 cup yoghurt (soya yoghurt for vegans) shopping list
How to make it
- Put the washed spinach leaves into a pan with the water that clings to them, add the fenugreek leaves (if used), cover and steam until spinach is soft. Drain well and chop finely.
- Cut the ricotta into cubes and spread on absorbent paper for a few minutes so that surface moisture is absorbed.
- In a small, deep frying pan heat enough oil in which to deep fry the cubes of ricotta. Add a tablespoon of ghee to flavour the oil.
- When oil is very hot, fry a handful of ricotta cubes at a time. Have ready the turmeric stirred into 1 cup of hot water and when the ricotta is pale golden lift out on a slotted spoon and drop the cubes into the turmeric water. Repeat until all the ricotta is fried, leave in the water for about 5 minutes, then drain.
- Heat about 2 tablespoons of the oil in a saucepan and add the black cummin seeds, coriander, chilli powder and ginger. Stir and fry briefly, taking care not to burn the spices.
- Add the spinach and salt and stir for a minute or two, then add about 1/4 cup hot water and the sugar. Simmer for 5 minutes. Stir the yoghurt until it is smooth, add it to the spinach and stir well. Add cubes of panir and simmer for 10 minutes longer. Ready to serve.
- ENJOY!! :)
The Cookomshivs London, GB
- Not added to any groups yet!