Bread And Butter PicklesFrom whodunitrdr 5 years ago
- 2 quarts cucumbers ; sliced 1/8" thick shopping list
- 1 quart onions ; sliced 1/8" thick shopping list
- 1/3 cup salt shopping list
- 3 cups vinegar shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups sugar shopping list
- 3 tablespoons mustard seed shopping list
- 3 teaspoons celery seed shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons alum shopping list
How to make it
- Sprinkle salt over cucumbers and onion in a large kettle, let stand for one hour and then drain off the liquid.
- Add remaining ingredients except the alum powder, stir together and bring to a boil to scald the pickles.
- Sprinkle alum powder over mixture, stir to combine, then ladle pickles into hot jars and seal.
- Process in water bath for 5 minutes for pints, 10 minutes for quarts. (Start counting time after water returns to a boil.)
- Makes about 5 pints.
- Note: You should be able to find alum powder in the spices section of your grocery store or with the canning supplies during the summer.