Spicy Chipotle Chocolate CakeFrom turtle66 7 years ago
- cake shopping list
- 2 sticks butter, unsalted shopping list
- 10 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips shopping list
- 5 eggs shopping list
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed shopping list
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 1/4 tsp salt shopping list
- 3/8 cup flour shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder shopping list
- 2 tsp chipotle chile powder shopping list
- frosting shopping list
- 16 oz cream cheese, room temperature shopping list
- 6 oz nutella shopping list
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder shopping list
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted shopping list
- 1/3 cup milk, plus extra as needed shopping list
How to make it
- Bake the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour two 8 inch cake pans. Line the bottom of the pans with parchment. Set aside.
- Place butter into a saucepan over medium heat. Melt the butter, stirring occasionally. Do not brown. Once the butter has completely melted, add the chocolate chips. Stir over medium heat until all chocolate has melted. Do not burn chocolate. Remove from heat.
- While the butter and chocolate are melting, add the eggs, brown and granulated sugars to a large mixing bowl. Beat until the sugar has completely dissolved into the eggs and the mixture begins to thicken.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the salt, flour, baking powder & chipotle chile powder. Add the sifted ingredients to the egg mixture. Fold the flour in until just incorporated. Slowly pour the melted chocolate-butter mixture into the batter, folding while pouring to incorporate.
- Once the all the ingredients have been completely incorporated, pour half of the batter into each of the two greased, lined cake pans. Place the pans into the upper third of a preheated 325 degree oven. Bake at 325 for 25-30 minutes until the cake has just set and a toothpick stuck into the middle of the cake comes out with only a few moist crumbs. (If it comes out with any gooey batter, let the cake bake longer, as needed.) Remove the cakes from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Cool for at least 2 hours before building the cake. Once cooled, cakes may be covered and stored at room temperature for a day before finishing.
- While the cake is cooling, Make the Frosting:
- Add the cream cheese and nutella into a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric beat or cream with a rubber spatula until light and fluffy. Sift in the cocoa powder and powdered sugar. Add the milk then then gently beat to incorporate, trying not to splatter milk and powdered ingredients all over the kitchen! Beat until all ingredients are fully incorporated and the frosting is light and fluffy. Cover and set aside until ready to frost the cake.Finish the Cake:
- When ready to assemble the cake, slide a knife around the outside of the cakes to loosen. Place your choice of serving dish upside down over one of the cake pans. Flip the cake pan over (so the serving dish is underneath the cake, right side up) and gently turn out the cake from the pan. Carefully peel away the parchment paper.
- Using strips of parchment paper, line the base of the cake, tucking strips of parchment just underneath the base all the way around.
- Place 1/3 of the frosting on to the middle of the cake. Spread the frosting in an even layer over the cake. Carefully remove the second cake from the pan and gently place cake, parchment side up, onto the frosted layer. Peel the parchment paper off of the top layer.
- Evenly frost the top and sides of the cake using the rest of the frosting. Once The cake is fully frosted remove the parchment strips lining the base of the cake. Serve and enjoy! The cake may be stored, covered, at room temperature for up to 3 days. For longer storage, refrigerate.
The Cookturtle66 Sacramento, CA
The Rating5 people
Wow that frosting sounds awesome love the heat in this delicious sounding recipe a definable keeper.
Five forks and a big smile :)trigger in loved it
Wow, Turtle, you sure know how to turn on the heat, baby! Never heard of a spicy dessert before, but this just makes a perfect sense! I love chipotle spice, will be trying this for sure!juels in Clayton loved it
Sounds incredible!meals4abby in Valders loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!