Pot Roast Herby Chicken With Melting Garlic PotatoesFrom sitbynellie 4 years ago
- 1 whole chicken, weighing about 4lb. shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- 1 oz. butter shopping list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- 2kg (just under 4 -1/2 lbs) potatoes, peeled and sliced 5mm (about 1/5 inch) thick (*see note below) shopping list
- 1 bulb garlic, separated into cloves (*see note below) shopping list
- A good heap of mixed fresh herbs, chopped, such as thyme, rosemary, savory, sage, parsley etc. shopping list
- 150ml (slightly more than 1/4 pint) chicken stock shopping list
- 3 more tablespoons olive oil (*see note below) shopping list
- More butter shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to Gas 5/190C/375F).
- Wash and dry the chicken, inside and out.
- Sprinkle inside and out with salt and pepper.
- Smear the bird all over with the butter.
- Heat the olive oil in a wide, heavy casserole.
- On a low heat, carefully brown the bird all over. Turn the bird around using two spatulas but try not to tear the skin. (I started off holding the bird by the legs) This should take about 15 minutes.
- Remove the bird from the heat.
- Layer the potatoes in the bottom of the casserole. (*actually I only used half this amount of potatoes as it was just for Tom and me).
- Layer them with the cloves of garlic (*actually I used 2 bulbs) and some of the mixed fresh herbs, and some salt & pepper.
- Pour on the chicken stock and the other 3 tablespoons olive oil (*actually I only used 1 tbsp. as I only used half the amount of potatoes).
- Put the chicken on top of the potatoes, breast side up.
- Smother with more herbs and rub on another schmeer of butter.
- Put the lid on the casserole and put in the oven for 1 hour.
- Take out the casserole, turn the heat up to Gas 7/220C/425F, take the lid off and put it back in to open-roast for another 20 minutes.
- NB: Test the chicken for doneness: with a knife, prise open the gap between leg and body and peer down into the hip joint. If there is any bloody pink there, it needs a little longer.
- Take the chicken out and let it rest, keeping it warm, covered in foil.
- Turn the oven up to Gas 8/230C/450F.
- Put the casserole back in the oven to finish off the potatoes - about 15 minutes.
The Cooksitbynellie Glasgow, GB
The Rating9 people
I Like This, Sounds Really Tasty!goblue434 in Anniston loved it
Drool, dribble, drool some more! Oh what a wonderful recipe. I can't wait to try this one. A very, very high 5 to you and have a wonderful day across the pond!valinkenmore in Malott loved it
This recipe is to die for. I can taste it now.
Wonderful!!pleclare in Framingham loved it