Homemade Flour TortillasFrom luisascatering 6 years ago
How to make it
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and oil. Slowly add the hot water. Stir with a fork until a loose, sticky ball is formed.
- Knead for three minutes on a floured surface. Dough should be firm and soft.
- Place dough in a bowl and cover with a damp cloth or plastic wrap for 20 minutes.
- After the dough has rested, break off eight sections, roll them into balls in your hands, place on a plate (make sure they aren’t touching) and then cover balls with damp cloth or plastic wrap for 10 minutes. (It’s very important to let the dough rest, otherwise it will be like elastic and won’t roll out to a proper thickness and shape.)
- After dough has rested, one at a time place a dough ball on a parchment lined surface, pat it out into a four-inch circle, and then roll with a rolling pin from the center until it’s thin and about eight inches in diameter. (If you roll out pie crusts you’ll have no problem with this.) Don’t over work the dough, or it’ll be stiff. Keep rolled-out tortillas covered until ready to cook.
- In a dry skillet (I use an electric griddle on 350 degrees, that way I can make 2 at a time), cook the tortilla about one minute on each side. It should start to puff a bit when it’s done (push down with spatula to keep flat).
- Keep cooked tortillas covered until ready to eat.
- Can be reheated in the oven wrapped in foil.
- Makes eight tortillas.
People Who Like This Dish 49
The Cookluisascatering San Carlos, CA
The Rating7 people
I would love to try this. I HATE Grocery Store tortillas! Great post!
Oops...forgot to rate it......:)