Idaho-style Finger SteaksFrom chefloren 7 years ago
- 1 egg shopping list
- 2 cups buttermilk shopping list
- 2 tablespoons grill seasoning, such as McCormick Montreal steak seasoning shopping list
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless beef sirloin steak, cut into 2 1/2 x 1/4 inch strips shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- 3 cups canola oil for deep frying shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Beat together the egg, buttermilk, grill seasoning, and 1/2 cup of flour in a large bowl until smooth. Add the beef, and toss until well coated. Cover with plastic wrap, and place into the refrigerator to marinate at least 2 hours.
- 2. Sift 2 1/2 cups flour with the garlic powder, salt, and pepper into a large bowl. Remove steak strips from buttermilk batter and allow excess to drip off. Dredge each piece with seasoned flour and place onto a baking sheet. Place in the freezer and freeze until firm, 1 hour to overnight.
- 3. Heat oil to 370 degrees F (185 degrees C) in a deep fryer or cast iron skillet.
- 4. Drop a few frozen steak pieces into the hot oil and fry until golden brown on the outside, about 5 minutes. Do not overcrowd the frying oil, and do not allow the steak strips to thaw before they are fried. Once golden brown, remove to drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
The Cookchefloren Someplace, Idaho
The Rating7 people
I have never had these but they sound delicous...printing out right now... five forks
peetapeetabear in mid-hudson valley loved it
We opened up a wings restaurant 5 weeks ago, and this looks like something that could end up on the menu. Considering my title is dessert manager/mad scientist, the fried beef is right on target. Thanks for sharing!!hooksc in Zeeland loved it
We have a small bistro in our town and they make this as an appetizer - a huge plate that 2 people have trouble eating by themselves. I love it but I have to have blue cheese dressing, please!
Wonderful post and high 5!valinkenmore in Malott loved it