Haitian Pureed Beans or Pois en sauceFrom choclytcandy 5 years ago
- 1 cup dried beans( red, black, white beans; green or pigeon peas) shopping list
- 6 cups water shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic (used fresh cloves during the cook time, and added garlic powder when I adjusted the seasoning) shopping list
- 1/4 teasponn groud cloves or 4 whole cloves shopping list
- 2 tbs parlsey, chopped shopping list
- 1 scallion, chopped ( I did not have any onion on hand, so I used a packet of Lipton onion Dry Soup Mix) shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme leaves (I used a fresh leaves while cooking the beans and dried leaves to adjust the flavor at the end of the cook time). shopping list
- salt to taste shopping list
- 1/2 tsp oil shopping list
How to make it
- Rinse beans, soak overnight. Drain and discard water.
- Place beans in large saucepan with the water, cloves, garlic, parsley, scallion thyme, and oil. Save salt until beans are almost done. Adding salt too soon toughens the beans. Oil keeps the water from boiling over.
- Cook over low heat for an hour. My cook time was a little longer before they were tender enough.
- When tender, remove three-fourths of the beans, along with some liquid from the pan and puree in the blender.
- Return the pureed beans to the saucepan containing the reserved whole beans. Simmer over low heat for about 30 minutes or until beans are of desired consistency. I added more of the liquid to this mixture and let it cook down. It really intensified the flavors, almost like a reduction.
- Adjust seasoning. Serve with rice or Haitian polenta.
People Who Like This Dish 11
The Cookchoclytcandy IN
The Rating7 people
I like the way this is prepared.......it is interesting I bet this would go great on some pita bread with sliced avacados....and crisp veggies.
Very nice post...got my 5grizzlybear in loved it
Sounds delicious - so good for you too, and not hard to make! I know I will like this.
Thanks for the recipe choclyt
Susansitbynellie in Glasgow loved it
very well written, my friend. love thisvictoriaregina in USA loved it