Rosmarinschweinsbraten Rosemary Roast PorkFrom bondc 9 years ago
- 3 lb. pork roast, preferably a shoulder (boston butt) or fresh ham shopping list
- 1 head garlic shopping list
- 1 large bunch fresh rosemary (one of those plastic containers from the store may be enough, but I'd use two) shopping list
- 1/2 t. caraway seeds, ground shopping list
- 1 t. black pepper shopping list
- 1 t. kosher salt shopping list
- 2 T. oil shopping list
- beer, Rhine wine, chicken stock, or water shopping list
- celery shopping list
- carrots shopping list
- onions shopping list
- potatoes (leave out if serving with a potato dish) shopping list
How to make it
- First make the paste. Mince and mash the peeled garlic cloves and half of the rosemary (a mortar and pestle makes this child's play). Mix in the salt, pepper, and caraway.
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- My godmother used to buy a rolled roast, unroll it, then spread the paste over it, roll it back up and tie it, but that's a real pain. Instead, use a knife to cut deep slits all over the roast, and insert the paste with the knife into the slits.
- In a heavy saute pan, brown the roast on all sides in the oil. Put in the oven, and roast for an hour.
- Add celery, onion, carrots, potatoes, and the rest of the rosemary after the first hour, and add some beer, about a cup. Continue to roast, basting every twenty minutes or so and adding more beer as necessary to keep it moist, until the roast is falling apart tender. Season the pan juices to taste with salt and pepper and serve with the roast pork.
People Who Like This Dish 9
The Cookbondc State College, PA
The Rating3 people
Lovey recipe...I will definitely roll it..I llike that presentation better. Thanks!greekgirrrl in Huntington Village loved it
This doesn'y sound like a "pain" at all. It just sounds delicious.vino4dino in Baltimore loved it
Do you ever marinate a pork loin, as in "sauerbraten"? I had a friend (r.i.p.) who used to do a venison roast marinated and said that it was fabulous.windy1950 in Flint loved it