Alabama Sheet Cake for Keni Cooking Day 2016

• bakerme 8 years ago
    From Keni: Alabama Sheet Cake See Note Re Title

This was the BEST Texas...er...Alabama Sheet Cake I've ever had! I've had Texas sheet cake before, but this was my first time making one and, with Keni's recipe, it will be one I make again and again. I haven't been baking much the past few years, and give away most of what I do make. Because I wanted this cake all for us, I halved the recipe (see my review for successfully halving the ingredients). Sorry, no photo because the cake is already half gone!
    Flag
  • pointsevenout 8 years ago said:
    Sounds like a wonderful sheet cake. I'd have to leave out the frosting, as my cake eating audience doesn't like frosting.
    Flag
  • NPMarie 8 years ago said:
    LOL at the cake already being half gone:-D It MUST be delicious! Sounds like our house..I have to try to take a pic of the dish I made before it gets eaten:) Bookmarked this one:)
    PSO, I think it would be great without frosting! I'm not a big fan either:)
    Flag
  • bakerme 8 years ago said:
    Points, the frosting tastes more like fudge, so maybe you can use a little trick and tell your audience it's not frosting, it's a fudge topped cake ;)
    Flag
  • NadineM 8 years ago said:
    Wow great looking cake Bakerme. LOL Points according to my DH it is the frosting that puts a cake over the top good.
    Flag
  • frankieanne 8 years ago said:
    That was a really nice review, Bakerme. I like that you put in there how you managed to halve everything.
    Flag
  • Cosmicmother 8 years ago said:
    Wow, sounds decadent :) I love that she 'Kenified' the recipe with some cayenne!
    Flag
  • mommyluvs2cook 8 years ago said:
    I REALLY want to make this one! Glad you were able to halve this with success Bakerme. I have 3 chocolate monsters living with me so I'd have to make the whole thing ;)
    Flag
    If any of you gets the chance to make this cake, you really should because it's that good! I can't do spicy spice, but the pinch of cayenne is just that, a pinch, and I can easily tolerate it. And it adds a nice complement to the chocolate flavor - yum!

Oh, I forgot to say that this was also super easy to make. Other than the saucepan used for melting the butter, chocolate, and cocoa for the cake, I mixed everything up in one bowl with a whisk and didn't bother using my electric mixer. Same thing with the frosting. A saucepan to melt the butter, chocolate and cocoa, then whisked in the vanilla and powdered sugar. I always sift powdered sugar before making frostings so they are as smooth as possible. It's an extra step, but ensures there are no little powdered sugar lumps. OK, I think that's everything :)
    Flag
    I didn't even notice the pinch of cayenne Bakerme! Glad to hear it was tolerable, can't wait to make this!!
    Flag
    Bump!
    Flag
    My husband hasn't stopped raving about this cake since I made half the recipe for Keni Cooking Day, soooo today I made the other half ;) I can see this is going to be a favorite around here on the rare occasions I bake something just for us. I like making recipes from people I know, and this will be a sweet reminder of a very special person :)
    Flag
    I'm making this today or tomorrow :)
    Flag
    You'll love it!
    Flag
  • gaspesiangal 8 years ago said:
    This sounds awesome and I love the intro. We're not really cake people but I've bookmarked it cause it does look amazing.
    Flag
    Angel, the second half of the cake disappeared as quickly as the first - yum!
    Flag
    My family LOVED this! The only change I really made was to use half sour cream and half plain yogurt, just cause I didn't have enough sour cream :) Cooked in a 9x13 pan, so I got a thicker cake. Interesting the nuts are stirred into the frosting and not inside the cake. Very chocolaty and decadent! Another good one Keni!
    Flag
    Oh and we didn't even taste the cayenne!
    Flag
    Mommyluvs2cook, I'm glad your family loved the cake! See? Toldja you'd love it! ;) Hmmm, funny the cayenne didn't come through. It adds a nice subtle zing to the flavor without adding heat. I've made a half recipe three times already. The first time, we couldn't taste the cinnamon, so I omitted it the second time, but then we couldn't taste the cayenne, either. I finally decided the two together is what gives the cake that little zing, so added both again the third time. We still couldn't taste cinnamon - which is good because, much as we like cinnamon, we don't like cinnamon and chocolate flavors together - but the cake had that little zing of cayenne again. Because the Penzeys spices I buy are super strong, I just add a generous pinch of each and that's enough for the flavor to come through. Maybe you need to add more?? Thanks for the tip about subbing out the sour cream. I don't always have sour cream on hand, but always have buttermilk and am going to try that some time.
    Flag
    I use Penzey's spices too Bakerme. I'm sure the cayenne added something, I meant it just didn't have any spiciness, which was a good thing. I'm sure if I were to make it again without it, I would notice a flavor change. I think buttermilk would work just fine!
    Flag
    Thanks for the info about subbing with buttermilk, Mommyluvs2cook. I know there's a whole baking science thing involved in baking, but darned if I "get it". My husband wants me to make the cake *again*! I think I created a monster - haha!
    Flag
    Lol, you should just make the whole recipe it sounds like!
    Flag
    I may just have to do that some time!
    Flag

Have a comment? Join this group first →