Gruyere FondueFrom krumkake 9 years ago
- 16 ounces gruyere cheese, rind cut off, cheese grated (should make about 6 cups) shopping list
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch shopping list
- ¾ cup dry white wine shopping list
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice shopping list
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and cut in half (see Directions below) shopping list
- 1 to 3 tablespoons kirsch (clear cherry brandy) - I omitted this because I didn't have any, but my niece stongly recommends 3 tablespoons!! shopping list
- pinch of ground nutmeg (I used just the smallest pinch) shopping list
- assorted dippers: bread, fruit, veggies etc. shopping list
How to make it
- Toss grated cheese with cornstarch in a large bowl.
- Rub heavy saucepan with cut sides of garlic halves, then run the garlic through a garlic press or mince it finely.
- Bring wine, lemon juice and garlic to a simmer in the pan over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Whisk one handful of cheese into wine until almost melted.
- Repeat until all cheese is incorporated into the sauce.
- Continue whisking until completely melted and fondue begins to just barely bubble.
- Then whisk in Kirsch and nutmeg.
- Transfer whole mixture into fondue pot and keep warm over fondue burner.
- Accompany with whatever you want to dip into the cheese - I love French bread, grapes, asparagus, but you can dip whatever you want.
- Have fondue forks and plates for each person.
- Serve with lots of chilled white wine and enjoy!!