Flaky Pie CrustFrom joe1155 7 years ago
- 2.5 cups (300 grams by weight) flour shopping list
- 2 sticks (225 grams) sweet cream butter (unsalted), plus a couple of tablespoons to put into the pie. shopping list
- 1 tsp sugar shopping list
- 1 tsp salt shopping list
- 4-6 ounces (120-180 ml) ice water shopping list
- 2 sheets parchment or wax paper about 14"x14" shopping list
How to make it
- Combine flour, sugar and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- Remove the butter from the fridge and place on one sheet of parchment paper on the counter and cover with a second sheet.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the butter about 1/4" thick. Divide into 4 sections and put into the refridgerator for 30 minutes or into the freezer 15 minutes until it is solid again.
- Remove from fridge and separate the butter from the paper (this makes it easier for the next couple of steps).
- Sprinkle about 1 ounce of the flour mixture one 3 of the sections. Stack all 4 of them on top of each other and sprinkle another ounce on the top section.
- Cover this with paper and roll out again. Divide into 4 sections again and repeat the procedure.
- Place back in fridge or freezer until hard again.
- Divide into 4 sections again and repeat above procedure again. Return to fridge again.
- Divide into about 8 sections and put into the bowl with the remaining flour. Using a pastry blender or knife, break the sections into large pieces and toss the flour around in the bowl.
- Add the water by tablespoons and lift the flour and butter mixture with a fork until it begins to hold together and then form into 2 sections, one slightly larger than the other. Avoid stirring because you want to keep larger pieces as they create the flaky layers.
- Return to fridge until ready to roll out and fill.
The Cookjoe1155 Munchen, DE
The Rating7 people
I never tried making my own flaky pastry before - I might try this out!
Susansitbynellie in Glasgow loved it
I know this is a good recipe!fishtrippin in Estelline loved it
This sounds great. Thanks for the detailed recipe. Valerievalinkenmore in Malott loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!