Pasta And White Bean SoupFrom mommyluvs2cook 5 years ago
- For the beans: shopping list
- 2 cups dried cannellini beans (white kidney beans) shopping list
- 5-7 cups water shopping list
- 2 Tbs. olive oil shopping list
- 1 large head of garlic, unpeeled top 1/2 inch cut off to expose cloves shopping list
- 1 sprig of sage shopping list
- 1 sprig thyme shopping list
- 10 black peppercorns shopping list
- kosher salt to taste shopping list
- For the soup: shopping list
- 3 Tbs. olive oil shopping list
- 1/2 large onion chopped shopping list
- 3 medium carrots chopped shopping list
- 2 ribs of celery chopped shopping list
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped shopping list
- 3 1/2 cups water (or more later) shopping list
- 2 cups cooked beans with 3/4 cup cooking liquid shopping list
- 1 cup small pasta such as farfalline or ditallini shopping list
- 1 large tomato shopping list
- 2 cups fresh loosely packed spinach julienned shopping list
- 1/2 Tbs-1 Tbs herbes de provence shopping list
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper shopping list
- 2 green onions chopped, for garnish shopping list
How to make it
- Place beans in bowl and cover with water and let soak overnight.
- Drain beans and place in large pot. Add the 5-7 cups of water, olive oil, sage, thyme, and peppercorns. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to med-low. Simmer uncovered 1 1/2 hrs. Mix in kosher salt to taste. Continue to simmer till beans are tender and done, adding more water if needed, for about 30 minutes. Cool beans in liquid 1 hr.
- Transfer beans to separate bowl with slotted spoon reserving 3/4 cup of liquid but discarding garlic, sage, thyme and peppercorns. Season beans to taste and drizzle with a little olive oil if desired.
- Rinse out large pot used for beans and heat up 3 tbs olive oil in it. Saute onions, celery, carrot and garlic until soft. Add the 3 1/2 cups water, beans, reserved 3/4 cup cooking liquid, and tomato and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to med-low and simmer 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mix in pasta, spinach and herbs de provence. Cook until pasta is just tender 10 minutes or so. Season with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Sprinkle with green onions and drizzle with olive oil. Yum!
The Cookmommyluvs2cook Santa Fe, TX
The Rating6 people
What else can I say but YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM > and HIGH FIVE! :+Dchefelaine in Muskoka loved it
Yum Yum Yum!!!cuzpat in Sikeston loved it
What wonderful flavours to corral into one bowl! We used to have soup night once a week (Wednesdays)...but you know, I could make that twice weekly.;o)hezzytantcook in Tokyo loved it