Red Cinnamon PicklesFrom chef2 8 years ago
- Red cinnamon pickles shopping list
- 7 pounds peeled, seeded cucumbers in strips shopping list
- 1 cup lime shopping list
- 1 gallon water shopping list
- 1 cup vinegar shopping list
- 1 bottle red food coloring shopping list
- 1 tablespoon alum shopping list
- Enough water to cover pickles shopping list
- 3 cups vinegar shopping list
- 2 cups water shopping list
- 10 cups granulated sugar shopping list
- 2 to 3 large packages Red Hots cinnamon candies (see NOTE) shopping list
- 8 sticks cinnamon shopping list
How to make it
- Soak cucumbers, lime and 1 gallon water for 24 hours.
- Wash cucumbers. Soak in ice water for 3 hours. Mix 1 cup vinegar, food coloring, alum and enough water to cover pickles. Simmer in this mixture 2 hours.
- Pour off liquid and throw away. Boil 3 cups vinegar, 2 cups water, sugar, candies and cinnamon. Pour over cucumbers. Let stand 24 hours.
- Drain liquid and bring to boil. Put cucumbers into jars with 1 to 2 sticks cinnamon in each jar. Pour hot liquid over jars and seal.
- NOTE: This information is from Yvonne in Mississippi.
- DO NOT use red hots candy that lists cornstarch as an ingredients. They will not work for this recipes. The brand to use is Farley's which uses sucrose, corn syrup, artificial flavor, red 40 and beeswax. This will work great and the pickles will be free of white matter after processing is done.