Awesome French Onion SoupFrom elgourmand 4 years ago
- • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter; use oil for vegetarian. shopping list
- • 6 large yellow (as in not read) onions (about 4 pounds), thinly sliced. shopping list
- • table salt shopping list
- • 2 cups water, plus additional for deglazing. shopping list
- • 1/2 cup dry white wine (don’t leave home without it) shopping list
- • 4 cups chicken broth. shopping list
- • 2 cups beef broth. shopping list
- • 6 sprigs fresh thyme. shopping list
- • 1 bay leaf shopping list
- • fresh ground black pepper shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- 2. Generously brush the inside of a large Dutch oven with oil or spray with nonstick cooking spray. Place the butter in the pot and add the onions and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook, covered, for 1 hour. Remove the pot from the oven and stir the onions, scraping the bottom and sides of the pot. Return the pot to the oven with the lid slightly ajar and continue to cook until the onions are very soft and golden brown, 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours longer, stirring the onions and scraping bottom and sides of pot half way through.
- 3. Carefully remove pot from oven and place over medium-high heat. Cook onions, stirring frequently and scraping bottom and sides of pot, until the liquid evaporates and the onions brown, 15 to 20 minutes, reducing the heat to medium if the onions are browning too quickly. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the pot bottom is coated with a dark crust, roughly 6 to 8 minutes, adjusting the heat as necessary. (Scrape any food that collects on spoon back into onions.)
- 4. Stir in 1/4 cup water, scraping the pot bottom to loosen crust, and cook until water evaporates and pot bottom has formed another dark crust, 6 to 8 minutes. Repeat process of deglazing 2 or 3 more times, until onions are very dark brown. Stir in the wine and cook, stirring frequently, until the sherry evaporates, about 5 minutes.
- 5. Stir in the broths, 2 cups of water, thyme, bay leaf, and 1/2 teaspoon salt, scraping up any final bits of browned crust on bottom and sides of pot.
- 6. Increase heat to high and bring to simmer. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove and discard herbs, then season with salt and pepper.
- How about some Cheese Croutons and a crisp green salad with this? If no Cheese Croutons a dollop of Cream Cheese wouldn’t go amiss.
People Who Like This Dish 14
The Cookelgourmand Apia, WS
The Rating10 people
Very good!cuzpat in Sikeston loved it
I made onion soup by the gallons at Rollande et Pierre and your are correct, the secret is cooking the onions into submission. Low and slow. The aroma is intoxicating, isn't it?notyourmomma in South St. Petersburg loved it
I really like your "5"FORK!!!!! Recipe
for Onion Soup~ It has in it contained
ALL the necessary ingredients for the
PERFECT 'Soup-Tasting' Experience~
Thank-you for sharing~
Photo~FLAGGED!!!!...moremjcmcook in Beach City loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!