My Grandmothers Lemon Meringue PieFrom bondc 8 years ago
- I pie shell, baked blind shopping list
- 1 1/2 c. sugar shopping list
- 1/2 c. cornstarch shopping list
- 1 1/2 c.boiling water shopping list
- 5 egg yolks shopping list
- 4 T. butter shopping list
- 4 T. lemon juice shopping list
- grated peel of 1 lemon shopping list
- Meringue: shopping list
- 5 egg whites shopping list
- 1/2 c. sugar shopping list
- pinch salt shopping list
How to make it
- Take the eggs out of the refrigerator at least an hour before you begin. You need them at room temperature (especially the whites).
- Combine the cornstarch and sugar in a heavy pan. Add the boiling water, stirring constantly, and cook over medium high heat until very thick. Beat a couple of spoonsful into the yolks, then beat the yolks into the mixture, and cook for another two minutes, stirring constantly. Turn off the heat, add the butter, juice, and peel, combine thoroughly and taste. If you want it a bit tarter, adjust with additional lemon juice.
- Pour into the shell, then make the meringue.
- Beat the whites with the salt until frothy, then add the sugar in a slow stream. After the sugar has been added, scape down the sides of the mixing bowl, then beat on high speed until quite stiff, but not until dry.
- Drop dollops of meringue around the rim until it's completely covered, then put the rest in the middle. Spread the meringue over the pie, being careful to seal the meringue to the shell all the way around (if you don't, it will weep). Use a spoon to swirl the meringue all over, picking the spoon up at the very end.
- Bake at 400 for 8-10 minutes, until brown. Check 6 minutes in, and turn the pie around if it's browning unevenly.
The Cookbondc State College, PA
The Rating6 people
Are our Grandmother's Related? ;>)
Mine was born in Butler County how 'bout yours?helewes in Newton loved it
I know every inch of Kentucky... I lived there in several towns for 27 years :>) Ashland had a pancake house I loved. Soupy Sales lived right there over the state line in West VA...Huntington :>)helewes in Newton loved it
great recipe, thanks for sharingnakedchef in Taichung loved it