Guiness Corned Beef With VeggiesFrom valinkenmore 7 years ago
- 3-4 lb corned beef brisket with spice packet (if possible) shopping list
- 1 bottle of Guiness stout beer shopping list
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut in 2" chunks shopping list
- 8 red new 2-3" potatoes, cut in half shopping list
- 4 parsnips, peeled and cut into 4 pieces shopping list
- 1 head cabbage, cut in 6 wedges (remove core) shopping list
- 2 Tbsp. grainy mustard or Dijon shopping list
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar shopping list
How to make it
- Remove brisket from packaging. Rinse and dry with paper towels. Place brisket in a large stock pot with bottle of Guiness and seasoning packet from corned beef. Bring just to a boil, then reduce to simmer, cover and cook for at least 3 hours. (Check occasionally to make sure you still have liquid in pan.)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- After 3 hours remove brisket from liquid and put in roasting pan. Cover with mustard and brown sugar. Place in oven to form a crust. This will take 30-45 minutes.
- While brisket is browning, add 2 cups water to Guiness poaching liquid and add carrots and potatoes. When carrots are almost cooked, add parsnips and cabbage and cook an additional 10 minutes or so until cabbage is tender.
- When brisket is nicely browned with a crust, remove from oven and let it rest at least 15 minutes before slicing. Serve with veggies.
- NOTE: I always serve this dish with mustard on the side and apple cider vinegar to sprinkle over the cabbage.
- And don't forget to save a little for corned beef sandwishes or Reubens!