Not Quite Just Another Chicken SaladFrom elgourmand 7 years ago
- The salad: shopping list
- • 1 lb (500g) pasta of your choice, cooked al dante, with two large bay leaves. Large elbow, rotini or rigatoni work well. shopping list
- • 1 large free range chicken or small duck cut into four pieces and cooked as below and then taken off the bone. This should give you 1 ½ to 2 lbs (700 to 900g) of boneless meat. shopping list
- • 4 hard boiled eggs, sliced. shopping list
- • ¼ cup chopped red bell pepper. shopping list
- • 1 tsp finely chopped medium chilies (jalapeño, problamo, etc) or chili flakes. (optional) shopping list
- • 2 Tsp chopped kalamata olives (optional but nice) shopping list
- • 4 fresh mushrooms, thin sliced. shopping list
- • ¼ - ½ cup frozen corn. shopping list
- • ¼ cup frozen green beans. shopping list
- 2 lg raddish, sliced shopping list
- • 1 stalk of celery, remove strings and coarse chop or thin slice. shopping list
- • ¼ cup finely chopped, mild onion. shopping list
- • ½ cup grated fresh carrot. shopping list
- The dressing: shopping list
- • 1 cup real mayonnaise, more or less to taste. shopping list
- • 6 Tbs. olive oil, I like the old fashioned kind for the flavor. shopping list
- • 1 Tbs good prepared mustard, your choice of type. shopping list
- • 2 - 4 Tbs dry white wine, or wine vinegar. shopping list
- • Pinch or two of basil, to taste. shopping list
- • 1 or 2 sprigs of parsley, chopped fine. shopping list
- • 1 sprig cilantro, chopped fine. shopping list
- • salt and fresh ground pepper to taste. shopping list
- • 1-2 Tbs fresh lemon juice, to taste. shopping list
- • 4 Tbs sour cream. shopping list
- • 1 tsp parmesan cheese, optional. shopping list
- • water or wine to adjust consistency. shopping list
- • 2 – 4 drops of liquid smoke, if you’re cooking the bird in the oven (optional). shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Cook the pasta, with the bay leaves, until al dante and drain. Remove the bay leaves. Rinse it if you like.
- 2. Boil dem eggs. It may be cheating but I boil the eggs with the pasta. If they are farm fresh, not store bought, scrub them good first.
- 3. Two ways to cook the chicken/duck, whatever. You can cook it in your Weber (or equivalent) BBQ/smoker or in the oven at say 350 deg. F until just done, about 1 ½ hours. If in the oven, put it on a rack with a little liquid in the bottom of the pan and cover. Please don’t overcook. Who wants dry bird.
- 4. When the bird is cooked, debone it and rip, tear or hack the meat into bite size bits.
- 5. Put all of the salad ingredients, except the eggs in a large mixing bowl.
- 1. Put all of the dressing ingredients, except the water or wine to adjust consistency, in a blender and blend until smooth, adjusting consistency to your liking with the water or wine; hay whatever.
- 2. Add the dressing to the salad and fold all the stuff together gently but completely. Put in the fridge to stand for an hour or more, folding occasionally to blend flavors.
- 3. Garnish with a dash of paprika and the sliced eggs. A sprig or two of parsley. Maybe, some chopped nuts and serve.
- For this dish you can do the cooking the night before and keep the cooked stuff in the fridge until you’re ready to put the salad together. We like soft cooked corn tortillas with this. Manger avec appétit (Eat hearty)
The Cookelgourmand Apia, WS
The Rating10 people
Wow!!!!hungrybear in Miner loved it
Thank You... WOW, good recipe !!!trinii in HAWTHORNE loved it
Your recipes are wearing me out, lol. high 5 for this!cuzpat in Sikeston loved it