Chicken VerdeFrom brinton 6 years ago
- 2 lbs, boneless, skinless chicken breast shopping list
- 1 med onion chopped shopping list
- 6 frozen cilantro cubes (I get a brand called Dorot found in the Trader Joes freezer section) if you do not have frozen use appx 6-7 t fresh. shopping list
- 4 cloves minced garlic (again, I use the Dorot frozen cubes, it makes it very easy, if you can find them use them!) shopping list
- 8 oz green chili shopping list
- 2 med green bell peppers, seeded and cut into bite sized peices shopping list
- 1 jar salsa verde (can be found with all the other salsas, I use La Victoria) shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Start off by sauteeing the onion, garlic and cilantro in a bit of oil for about 5 mins. I do this in my stock pot, so as to give everything enough room to cook.
- Leave the chicken whole and add to the onions etc.
- Cover and allow to cook until the chicken is cooked all the way thru (at least 30 mins)
- When the chicken is done, remove it from the pot and allow to rest for about 15 mins.
- While the chicken rests, add the bell peppers, green chili and salsa to the onion/garlic/cilantro mixture.
- When the chicken is cool enough to handle, shred it and throw back into the pot and cook for an additional 10 mins.
- Slow Cooker Directions:
- Start the chicken, onions, garlic and cilantro together on low for at least 3 hours. Add the green chili, salsa and bell pepper and cook for another 1-2 hours on low before serving. About 30 mins before service, take the chicken out and shread it and add it back into the salsa etc, making sure that all is evenly coated and heated thru.
- Serve with tortillias, cheese and beans. This also is great the next day for leftovers!