Tuna Noodle CasseroleFrom DetroitTokyo 4 years ago
- 1 small onion, white or yellow diced shopping list
- 1/2 head of celery stalks, diced shopping list
- 1 lb carrots, peeled & diced shopping list
- 1 small head of broccoli, diced shopping list
- 1 tbsp olive oil shopping list
- salt & pepper to taste shopping list
- Mrs. Dash Original to taste shopping list
- 2 cans tuna, drained (I use chunk white) shopping list
- 1 lb elbow macaroni (may use farfalle, penne, rotini or egg noodles) shopping list
- 3 tbsp butter, plus a bit extra to grease baking dish shopping list
- 3 tbsp flour (I use whole wheat) shopping list
- 2 cups milk shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheese (you can have fun here, mix it up between cheddar and pepper jack or any other that strikes you) shopping list
- Emeril's Essence seasoning to taste, about 1 tbsp shopping list
- a handful of potato chips, smashed into small pieces shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 400F. Prepare casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Heat olive oil in large saute pan over medium heat. Add veggies to pan and season with salt, pepper, and Mrs. Dash. Stir, and cover. Allow to cook for several minutes, stirring occasionally.Remember, they will cook a bit more while baking in the casserole so this is just up to your personal preference as to how crisp or soft you'd like them. Once the veggies are cooked, remove from heat and set aside.
- As they cook, cook pasta according to directions. Generally a minute or two less than recommended is good as they too will cook more in further steps. Drain pasta & set aside.
- In a medium-large pot melt butter over medium heat, add flour and stir occasionally for about one minute, or until flour is absorbed. Then whisk in milk, about a half cup at a time. Cook for three minutes, whisking occasionally, until it thickens somewhat. Add Emeril's Essence to taste. Then, add about 2 cups of the cheese, veggies, and tuna and stir. Remove from heat and add pasta, mix well, then pour into casserole dish.
- Top with remaining cheese and crushed potato chips. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until top reaches a light golden brown.