Tofu Chicken Nuggets (without Chicken)From JayGibson 5 years ago
- Marinade: shopping list
- ¼ C soy sauce shopping list
- 3 Tbs. Dijon mustard shopping list
- 1 Tbs. worcestershire sauce shopping list
- 2 tsp. curry powder shopping list
- Batter / breading / Frying: shopping list
- 1 block of tofu shopping list
- 1/3 C flour shopping list
- 2 eggs shopping list
- 2 Tbsp Soy milk (or water or regular milk) shopping list
- ¾ C panko breadcrumbs shopping list
- 1/3 C peanut oil shopping list
How to make it
- Place tofu (still in packaging) in freezer and allow block of tofu to freeze solid.
- To Thaw tofu: Take tofu out of the package & put in a large bowl. Boil a pot of water. Fill the bowl with boiling water. After a couple minutes the frozen tofu will have cooled the water; discard water in the bowl & re-fill the bowl with hot water from the pot. Repeat 3-4 times and/or allow tofu to stand in water for 30-45 minutes until it is completely thawed out. You can tell if it is still frozen by pinching it in the middle and seeing if there is a hard frozen lump in the center.
- Once the tofu is no longer frozen, press it firmly between your palms to get out as much water as possible. The frozen & thawed tofu block is more resilient than regular tofu, so you can really squeeze it together like a sponge HOWEVER be careful not to totally destroy its structure and cause it to rip, because you need the block to remain more or less intact.
- Once you have removed enough water, cut the tofu into 16 rectangles. Slice it once down the middle (hotdog style), then slice the two lengths into 8 pieces each. Lay these pieces flat and apply ½ of marinade; flip the blocks over & apply the other ½ of the marinade. Allow blocks to sit with the marinade on them for an hour or more, to absorb and for some of the moisture of the marinade to dry.
- While the marinade is setting in, take three bowls, fill one with the flour, one with the bread crumbs, and one with the eggs and the 2 Tbsp. of soymilk. Scramble the eggs and the soymilk together. Line up the bowls starting with the flour, then the egg mixture, and then the bread crumbs. This will be your assembly line
- Now, I find that using one hand for the dry ingredients and the other for the wet ingredients works the best. Pick up a slice of tofu with your wet hand and drop it in the flour mixture. With your dry hand put some flour over it and press it down so the flour is all over the tofu.
- Now pick up the tofu and drop it into the egg mixture. Using your wet hand again, submerse the tofu completely into the egg mixture before picking it up and dropping it into the bread crumbs.
- Now do like you did in the flour and using your dry hand completely cover the tofu in the bread crumbs and pack it down, before placing the tofu onto a clean plate. Follow these steps until you have done all of the tofu blocks.
- Now, you are ready to fry the tofu. Heat 4 Tbsp. of oil in a 12” non-stick frying pan. Once the oil is hot, put half of the tofu blocks (8) in the pan and until they are golden brown. Flip over and fry the other side until golden brown. Remove from pan and place on a plate lined with paper towels. Fry the other 8 the same way, then serve with the sauce of your choice. I prefer Mae Ploy Sweet Chili Sauce.
People Who Like This Dish 15
The CookJayGibson Honolulu, HI
The Rating2 people
That's excellent Jay! Great post.
Jay...I'm making these nuggets this evening and I can't make out the measurement for the soy sauce. Is that 1 cup?
I've made these a couple of times now and my son loves them! We serve them with a chutney on the side. The recipe makes a lot! Great post. Thanks for an awesome recipe!
- Not added to any groups yet!