Nopale Rellanos (fried Cactus)From sharebear1 3 years ago
- 3 Whole Cactus Paddles shopping list
- Husk only of 1 tomatillo shopping list
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/3 lb Monterrey cheese or Oaxaca cheese shopping list
- 4 eggs - Seperate egg whites and yolks shopping list
- 1 Cup flour shopping list
- oil for frying shopping list
- Sauce: shopping list
- 4 roma tomatoes shopping list
- 1 white onion shopping list
- 1 jalapeno shopping list
- 3 garlic cloves shopping list
- 1-2 Tablespoons oil shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin shopping list
- 1 to 1/2 teaspoon salt (to taste) shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper (to taste) shopping list
- 1/3 cup water shopping list
- 1/2 chicken bouillon cube shopping list
How to make it
- 1.To prepare the cactus, hold by the end and use a scrub brush (or kitchen sponge) to lightly scrub off the thorns on cacus paddle. Flip and repeat on other side. Set aside and finish then all. Cut the "stem/butt" end off of cactus, and continue to cut around the outside edge of cactus. Cut each directly in half.
- 2.Place tomato, onion, jalapeno, galic cloves and oil onto foil wrapped pan and place into oven on low broil until skins are blistered. About 20 minutes. Remove skins and place into blender with cumin, water, salt, pepper and chicken bouillon. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
- 3.Bring pot of water to boil, add tomatillo husk, salt and cactus. Simmer until cactus is tender, about 45 minutes. Drain water and discard husk.
- 4.Beat egg whites until stiff. Continue beating and add the egg yolks. Set aside. Place flour into dish big enough to dredge each cactus. Heat skillet with oil for frying.
- 5.Place paddles of same size together. Take slices of cheese and place onto one peice of cactus, make sure its not sticking out the side. Place matching sized peice of cactus on top (like a sandwich). Carefully hold it together and dredge it into the flour, make sure the flour stays well by rubbing it into the cactus leaves. Then dip the cactus into egg mixture, cover all sides well. You may use a fork and spoon and carefully transfer this into the hot oil. Fry until golden brown, flipping only once. About 7-9 minutes on each side. Once golden brown remove from oil and let drain on paper towels. Continue until all are done.
- 6.Place tomato salsa mixture onto plate and place cactus on top. Serve with tortillas and sour cream.
The Cooksharebear1 Coon Rapids, MN
The Rating1 people
- Not added to any groups yet!